Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Philadelphia City/county OC

I've wondered this and never thought of posting it? Is the requirement for an LTCF while OC'ing in Philadelphia just for center city or all of Philadelphia County? I live in the north east (somerton) and always avoided OC (prefer CC) but the question was in the back of my mind and thought maybe someone here could answer that.

Second question, I have an LTCF and the wife does not. Not planning on doing it (she's not ready to carry) but could I carry 2 firearms with me while in a vehicle and once we get out hand one over to her to OC?

Not trying to break the law or expecting answers that would stand in court, just wondering how you guys view these issues/options.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philadelphia City/county OC

The requirement applies to all of Philadelphia.

If she is not ready to carry it's a non issue.

(Luzerne County)

I would think the best person to ask would be the local head law enforcement officer. He/she may not give you the correct answer (as we know some LEO do not interpret the law they enforce correctly. BUT it would be the closest to the right answer. I am sure most of the members here can be very helpful also, but nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth. Good luck

(Philadelphia County)

Philadelphia is Philadelphia, regardless of neighborhood. There is no change between Center City and the outlying neighborhoods.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huascar82 View Post
    I've wondered this and never thought of posting it? Is the requirement for an LTCF while OC'ing in Philadelphia just for center city or all of Philadelphia County? I live in the north east (somerton) and always avoided OC (prefer CC) but the question was in the back of my mind and thought maybe someone here could answer that.
    From Wikipedia, and we all know how accurate it is.......

The consolidation of the City and County of Philadelphia in 1854 abolished the Board of County Commissioners, with most of its functions transferred to the popularly elected City Commissioners who, although retaining their original title and duties, were thenceforth considered County officers. Because the City Commissioners were considered County officers, they were still regulated by State laws concerning County Commissioners. The City Commissioners should not be confused with the City Council, as these are two separate entities.
    Even though the governments of the both the City and County were effectively consolidated by the Act of Consolidation, not all offices and agencies, such as the Board of Inspectors of the County Prison (Philadelphia Prison System), Coroner, Recorder of Deeds, and Sheriff, that were under the control of the county prior to the consolidation were transferred to the city, though their oversight and regulation were now handled by the City Commissioners. Other offices and agencies, like that of Offices of City Tax Collector and County Tax Collector were reduced to that of clerk in the new office of Receiver of Taxes. Both Commissioners' (City and County) powers in regard to streets and City property were transferred to the City's Departments of Highways and City Property. From 1854 until 1867, the Commissioners also served as members of the Board of Revision of Taxes. In 1867, the City Assessors were made appointees of that Board.
    The powers left to the Commissioners were chiefly accounting ones over County institutions, regulatory duties regarding weights and measures (given them by an Act of 1895) and administrative functions in connection with elections, which culminated in complete control of their conduct with the formation of the County Board of Elections under their direction in 1937.

(Delaware County)

You need a PA LTCF at all times to OC within the city limits, your LTCF is only for you and no one else. Have your wife apply for her own LTCF even if she doesn't want to carry.