Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Exclamation US Attorney: Scheme brought guns from Whitehall store to NYC

US Attorney: Scheme brought guns from Whitehall store to NYC
    The Morning Call
    Federal officials announced charges today against seven people for their roles in an alleged scheme to funnel guns from the Army and Navy store in Whitehall to New York City.

U.S. Attorney Pat Meehan announced today the filing of a 33-count indictment against the seven, including three Allentown women and a Bethlehem woman. Meehan said they participated in a straw purchasing scheme, where one person fills out the paperwork for the gun but is making the purchase for someone else.
    According to the indictment, Javier A. Checo and Reymond Gomez, both from Queens, N.Y., formed a network of people to illegally traffic firearms purchased from the store at 1045 Grape Street in Whitehall. Both men are felons and are unable to and prohibited from buying and possessing guns, Meehan said.

Checo paid Silkya Rivera, 31, of Allentown, to recruit others, including Ana Maria Diaz, 27, of Bethlehem, to purchase guns and Torrie M. Oliver, of Queens, N.Y., recruited his girlfriend, Lucia Helen Rosario, 25, of Robesonia, Berks County to do the same, Meehan said. Heather Brito, 29, of Allentown, was another straw purchaser, he said.

He said the group made 14 attempts to purchase guns from the Army and Navy store between March 2 and Aug. 2 and were successful five times. Following each sale, the guns were given to Checo and Gomez, who took the guns to New York for their own use or for resale to others, Meehan said.

"It's called 'lying and buying' and it's a crime," Meehan said. "Individuals who illegally traffic in firearms, including those who act as straw purchasers, are fueling the gun violence that grips our communities in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and beyond."

Reporting by Manuel Gamiz Jr., The Morning Call

(Berks County)

Default Re: US Attorney: Scheme brought guns from Whitehall store to NYC

Please, Please, PLEASE tell me this had nothing to with Mayor Bloomberg's shenanigans. These seem like genuinely bad people doing wrong, whereas Bloomberg's tactics were borderline entrapment.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Exclamation Re: US Attorney: Scheme brought guns from Whitehall store to NYC

I heard from a good source last week that they informed the batf themselves. I don't think this has anything to do with Gloomberg.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

(Luzerne County)

These seem to be the "real" threat and should be dealt with full power of the law.
    Bloombergs tactics are nothing but a "feel good look at me in the press I am doing something". He is doing nothing more than using the civil courts to manipulate people into taking a settlement simply because it is cheaper and easier to do( for the defendant) and using trickery to get something that looks like a straw purchase.

(Erie County)

Well obviously it was the gun store's fault. Duh! I mean they should have known guns are only used to illegally kill people!

Ya it doesn't sound like that has to do anything with Bloombergs shit. I wonder if that was one of the investigations that the ATF said Bloomberg jepordized.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    Well obviously it was the gun store's fault. Duh! I mean they should have known guns are only used to illegally kill people!

Ya it doesn't sound like that has to do anything with Bloombergs shit. I wonder if that was one of the investigations that the ATF said Bloomberg jepordized.
    The article doesn't have great details but it sounds as if the store may not be charged or part of this. It sounds like the store may be the ones who tipped off the BATFE or AG.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    The article doesn't have great details but it sounds as if the store may not be charged or part of this. It sounds like the store may be the ones who tipped off the BATFE or AG.
    Oh, I was being sarcastic.