Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default A Civic-Minded OC opportunity?

I read in today's Metro (Local daily rag) about a City-wide cleanup day on the 5th of April. Do you think the PAFOA could volunteer it's members, either CC or OC to show gun owners in a positive light? Keep in mind, this idea came to me after a heavy workout and before my first cup of coffee, so I take full responsibility if it's a non-starter.

Link to the Metro Article.
    http://philly.metro.us/metro/local/a...day/11972.html

Link to the event web site.
    http://www.phillycleanup.com/pages/H...p?Section=Home

I have no idea if we (PAFOA) would be welcomed, but I know several have made mention of wanting to OC in Philly, and if we have a team doing cleanup, we have A) Credibility, B) Doing a positive thing showing owners in a positive light and C) Witnesses.

Comments?
    Last edited by MrUgly; March 11th, 2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Clarified my original post.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: A Civic-Minded OC opportunity?

In general I think it is a great idea.

Phila has it's separate set of OC obstacles though. Not sure if the event would be a good start on Phila OC conditioning

(Chester County)

The idea has potential for a good PR move. Wouldn't think you'd need too many people to get noticed either, but the power of numbers rules here...the more the better.

Worst case scenario no one in the media mentions it but at least the people on the ground will take notice.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I think it's a good idea. A team of people with pafoa shirts doing community service, It just paints us in a good light.

Those "gun toters" everyone is so afraid of were actually our friendly neighbors all along. who knew

Does anyone know if there is one of those events planned for pittsburgh? We could get alot of people to show up.

(Philadelphia County)

Great find, and great idea to participate, but I am not sure how the OC piece will fly here in Philly. Could be interesting to see if we could get police support to avoid any potential problems that would go along with it. A police district commander would be a good place to start, if we can find out what area we could all work in.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    Great find, and great idea to participate, but I am not sure how the OC piece will fly here in Philly. Could be interesting to see if we could get police support to avoid any potential problems that would go along with it. A police district commander would be a good place to start, if we can find out what area we could all work in.
    Ok. Does anyone have a preference as to where? If we are doing a neighborhood vs. Fairmont park? Where would I find an email address for a Watch commander? I'd like to be able to have things in writing.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Beaver County)

While I think it is a great idea to do something constructive to portray gun owners in a positive light, you may want to talk to Dan and Doug before making any kind of official connection to PAFOA. Given that it's Philly and there is a possible negative backlash, it could have a detrimental effect on the organization itself, no matter how good the intentions are. I do agree with the community service aspect of it though. If the opportunity should arise locally, I would definitely be wiling to participate.

(Erie County)

This guy is a bit odd, but here are two videos of them doing similar things to what you suggest, but in NH:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ojKOFSh1zqU

and, I can't find the other video, but you get the idea. I think it's a great thing to do!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    While I think it is a great idea to do something constructive to portray gun owners in a positive light, you may want to talk to Dan and Doug before making any kind of official connection to PAFOA. Given that it's Philly and there is a possible negative backlash, it could have a detrimental effect on the organization itself, no matter how good the intentions are. I do agree with the community service aspect of it though. If the opportunity should arise locally, I would definitely be wiling to participate.
    Agreed. Please clear the use of the PAFOA name with Dan and/or Doug first.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Agreed. Please clear the use of the PAFOA name with Dan and/or Doug first.
    I had no intention of doing otherwise. I see no point investing a great deal of effort into an endeavor that won't have the members active support. So far, the response has been tepid enough that I don't think there would be a large enough showing to make the attempt, but I'll wait a few days and see if anyone says "Sure, if you organize it, I'll show up." Once I have an idea of the numbers, *THEN* I'll stick my neck out and ask Dan/Doug. Up until then, this is just me asking a question and seeing if it is popular enough to fly.

Thanks to those that showed support, even if you can't make the date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast