Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Sabots! Who can afford them?

I do not care if you make 50,000 a year or 100,000 who wants to spend $20.00 a box for slugs? I am just about out of the slugs I use, and need to buy more. So I went through the slugs and it looks like the sst's are going to get my bid. I just ordered 2 boxes to site in with and with good luck they will shoot good and are just about the cheapest thing going in slugs. Any thoughts or tips or know a good cheap sabot.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Default Re: Sabots! Who can afford them?

You are asking the wrong guy.....I rarely use a shotgun anymore unless I make it to Allegheny County to hunt extended season with some old friends. That being said, my gun REALLY REALLY REALLY likes Remington Copper Solids. OUCH on the wallet. Dicks recently had a buy three get the fourth free sale going on. Every once in a while, Remington will offer a mail in rebate. Hope that helps a bit.
    Jules

not sabots but brenneke KO slugs work great out of my buddys mossberg with rifled barrel, and at $5 a box might be worth a try for you

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    You are asking the wrong guy.....I rarely use a shotgun anymore unless I make it to Allegheny County to hunt extended season with some old friends. That being said, my gun REALLY REALLY REALLY likes Remington Copper Solids. OUCH on the wallet. Dicks recently had a buy three get the fourth free sale going on. Every once in a while, Remington will offer a mail in rebate. Hope that helps a bit.
    Jules
    That's what I was shooting. I still like them but the sst's are about 7 bucks cheaper per 5. Hornady makes a great bullet so I am giving them a shot. And that's not just a play on words either.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Cumberland County)

Last year I found Federal # F127 SS2 sabots to be the cheapest. I think they were as cheap as $5.99 per 5. I had my gun shop order me 10 boxes last year(he doesn't really carry shotgun ammo). I was trying to sight in my scope and needed something cheap. Walmart sells one for around $12.00

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    That's what I was shooting. I still like them but the sst's are about 7 bucks cheaper per 5. Hornady makes a great bullet so I am giving them a shot. And that's not just a play on words either.
    My buddy and his dad have had good success with the Hornady rounds. If your slugger likes them, I say go for it.
    Jules

I'm running the SST rounds for the last two years with great success. Decent groups too out of my 870. Just sighted in my savage 212 with them and they performed well.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Berks County)

I use the Lightfield sabots. They are around the same price as the SST's 14.99-15.99.
    They have them at Dick's and Cabelas. I bought some last at the Sportsmens show in Harrisburg at 12.00 a box.
    They shot the best out of my Mossberg 695.
    I haven't shot the SST's except out of my muzzleloader.

(Montgomery County)

I only use Hornady SST's I've had nothing but good performance from then and at 100 yards (from a bench) I can get the shots to damn near touch. I've tried others and these seem to work best with me and my shotgun.

They were just $9.99 at dicks a couple of weeks ago and I had another $10.00 off. I picked up 4 boxes. I've also bought them B1G1 at dicks in the past. Not sure if they will be doing that again anytime soon. When they go on sale I buy a few boxes.

(Bucks County)

I use slugs for hunting so once the shotgun is sighted in.. i have 3 boxes reserved..

NO big deal.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast