Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Prone shooting at SGL ranges

Her is take from the prohibited acts
    .......Discharge a firearm, except from an established shooting station on the firing line........

Does it means that anything other than bench would be a violation?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Prone shooting at SGL ranges

I figured that was their way of making sure ppl didn't walk closer to the targets and such. If you're being safe and following the rules I doubt you'd have a problem. I sometimes practice prone with my m1 at French creek
    interested in a cz kadet kit, if anyone's selling

I agree with shrewd. I think the intent is to prevent people from walking forward of the line to shoot closer.
    Jules

(Bradford County)

Shooting station (according to the last GC I talked to) = the area starting from exactly halfway between the centerlines of any two benches and extending to the area exactly halfway between the centerlines of the next further bench. Also measured as the area directly fore and aft of the bench in the "marked" or cemented zone, as the case may be.

So in other words, no, they won't complain about it. I sometimes take kneeling shots from directly in front of the rest with my back against it. Just DON'T put more than 3 shots in your weapon... for the love of whatever you want, DON'T.

I've never gotten such an earful in my life because someone loaded 4. FOUR. into a magazine, and he even said something about my carry gun having more than the specified number (6 for handguns) even though it was clearly an EDC and on my person, holstered, at all times.

(Carbon County)

I sit in front of the bench (If the range is not crowded) and lean against the bench leg, simulating sitting against a tree. I never got hassled yet.

(Lackawanna County)

Our range is a single line of benches so I guess I'll give it a try. Just don't want to be yelled at.

As of 3 shots. I have witnessed numerous times people shoot whatever count they want to. when I mentioned this rule to one dude (politely not as hey you are wrong) he said its such pain in the butt to load only 3 .22lr into his SW15-22. I agreed its a pain but also reminded him about fines. He said he does not think anyone will bust his b^^^s over 10 rounds in the mag. I know I am not the one to tempt those guys.
    Last edited by SHTF; October 18th, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHTF View Post
    Our range is a single line of benches so I guess I'll give it a try. Just don't want to be yelled at.

As of 3 shots. I have witnessed numerous times people shoot whatever count they want to. when I mentioned this rule to one dude (politely not as hey you are wrong) he said its a such pain in the butt to load only 3 .22lr into his SW15-22. I agreed its a pain but also reminded about fines. He said he does not think anyone will bust his b^^^s over 10 rounds in the mag.
    Don't bet on it. It was a .22 I got busted over, and yes, he was serious about giving me the $100 per round fine. He backed off because someone else fessed up to overloading the mag for me, and then proceeded to bitch at me for not checking my mags before seating them into the rifle. It's a solid black magazine with no load indication on it. Am I supposed to strip and reload every time? It was a simple mistake, and it's not like I even /shot/ 4 rounds. I shot 3, pulled the mag, and he saw there was still one in it. THATS' how nitpicky they can be.

Often, when you get to the range, there may be someone there that's yelling out the orders to clear and proceed to check paper. That guy's the guy who's gonna give you trouble if you're doing something /he/ doesn't like, so it's best to ask him. Since the ranges are rarely policed by the people who set the rules, they're often left to the interpretation of "range captains". It works, but sometimes there are disputes when people don't follow the rules specifically while trying to enforce them.

PGC ranges are largely self policing, though.

OH! That guy also kinda grumbled about me using empty .22LR boxes to prove accuracy on my friends' Sig 522 @ 100y, but even though it's against the rules, he saw that I was cleaning up my boxes on every paper check, so he just told me to "make sure they're cleaned up before you leave" and left it at that.

He was pretty impressed that I was stapling Qtips to the rubber matting and taking the heads off top and bottom with the .22. Later on, we talked about plinking with .22 and I explained to him that we'd been taking/hitting 300+ yard shots with .22's just the day before. The chat got him a bit more personable.
    Last edited by Christ; October 18th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Christ View Post
    So in other words, no, they won't complain about it. I sometimes take kneeling shots from directly in front of the rest with my back against it. Just DON'T put more than 3 shots in your weapon... for the love of whatever you want, DON'T.

I've never gotten such an earful in my life because someone loaded 4. FOUR. into a magazine, and he even said something about my carry gun having more than the specified number (6 for handguns) even though it was clearly an EDC and on my person, holstered, at all times.
    This is why I finally quit the SGL ranges and joined a private club. Last time I was at Archbald, some nosey old fart was just itching to start something and sat in his car for AN HOUR watching me, I was the only person at the firing line. I guess he saw the Garand I had on the table next to me and couldn't wait for me to try to load an 8 round clip. Never gave him the satisfaction as I just kept shooting the Mauser 3 rounds at a time, 3 rounds at a time, lol

Back on topic, I have shot at the firing line in standing position and no one has ever said anything. Never tried prone though, somebody's head might pop at the sight of that
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Lackawanna County)

Yeah. I shot while standing once but it was a quick 3+3 for a video. I bet someone might say something just cause.

I remember when my son asked twice "are we safe are we safe" and all said yeah so he went down to check target. But there were two farts at one bench on far end talking to each other (not even shooting) and I overheard one asking another "did he ever asked if its safe"....So you know. Even when you try to be good someone will interpret things in their own way.

I told my son to make 100% sure next time even if it takes 5 times to ask. As I said I hate to be yelled at.

I like my range here. Plus I go on Tue-Wed my days off so its not as crazy as people say it is on sat-sun.
    Last edited by SHTF; October 18th, 2012 at 10:03 PM.

(York County)

Don't be so sure. I got a fine for laying prone right next to the leg of the far right bench at the dillsburg SGLR. The guy beside me got popped for having 4 rounds in his mag also. The warden also nearly gave another guy I let shoot one of my rifles standing on the opposite side of the bench I was at a fine but gave up when I got upset about it all.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast