Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default ARD classes finished can i get a carry permit?

hey im new here. i was wandering if anyone could help me out with a few questions, when i was a teen i got arrested with a small amount of marijuana, i paid all my fines and did my ARD. anyways i never did get around to getting my record expunged which i qualified for. if i get my record expunged would i be able to buy a carry permit? and without getting my record expunged would i be able to go now and buy a new pistol.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: ARD classes finished can i get a carry permit?

Quote Originally Posted by coyotehunter View Post
    hey im new here. i was wandering if anyone could help me out with a few questions, when i was a teen i got arrested with a small amount of marijuana, i paid all my fines and did my ARD. anyways i never did get around to getting my record expunged which i qualified for. if i get my record expunged would i be able to buy a carry permit? and without getting my record expunged would i be able to go now and buy a new pistol.
    Go to your local gun shop and try. Easiest way to find out. If you are able to buy a pistol, you should be able to also receive the permit as well. That is my understanding.

Do not follow this advice - knight0334, 10/17/12
    Last edited by knight0334; October 17th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zlaya View Post
    Go to your local gun shop and try. Easiest way to find out. If you are able to buy a pistol, you should be able to also receive the permit as well. That is my understanding.
    I would not take this advice. I would contact your attorney and inquire there first.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Lawrence County)

Short answer: NO

File to get it expunged. Any drug conviction disqualifies...
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...sfer-firearms/

Get it expunged and you'll be fine. It will cost some money, but it's worth it. Call the public defender's office and ask them how to go about getting it expunged...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Beaver County)

^^^^^^^^Terrible advise.^^^^^^^^
    Talk to a lawyer, get your record expunged. Don't randomly fill out paperwork just to see if it will go through. It could get you into seriously hot water.
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Allegheny County)

My apologies to OP, and the community on giving this bad advice. I will cease doing that going forward.

Thankfully, it prompted some good advice.

(Jefferson County)

You have to make sure your ARD program is completely finished - not just any classes. Your ARD term requires that ALL classes, probation, and community service is served. And ALL of your supervision, court, and judgment fees are paid.

So long as you don't have any other prohibiting convictions - an ARD is not a conviction. However the charges and such will still remain on your record until expunged. They will very likely cause problems with a background check. And a sheriff(or chief of police with Philly) can use it against you with the character clause.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

My apologies to OP, and the community on giving this bad advice. I will cease doing that going forward.

Thankfully, it prompted some good advice.
    Thank you.

Doing such, and if the person is prohibited, can result in getting the person convicted of false sworn statements.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Thank you.

Doing such, and if the person is prohibited, can result in getting the person convicted of false sworn statements.
    Not if you answer questions to the best of your knowledge, you won't get convicted. You might get arrested, but not convicted. Max is 30 days for under 30g according to my quick google search. Max is 1 year for over 30 grams. This, assuming it was a first offense. However, question 34 on the LTCF does say that ALL drug offenses are disqualifying. Therefore, to put "No" on that, would land you in jail. Clearly, you know that you were convicted of a drug crime.

Soooooooo, your screwed. Get a lawyer.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Allegheny County)

Well, which is the specific crime were you actually convicted of...was it something like possession of controlled substance, or did were you convicted of something generic disorderly conduct? I do believe that there is a disorderly conduct - controlled substance type charge though too.

To those in the know which of these counts - what you are charged with, or what you are convicted of? (Please excuse me if I have the definitions of the two mixed up) For example, you are charged with something like M1 Simple Assault, but are convicted and punished for a S Disorderly Conduct?

Probably best to contact a lawyer with the specifics and see whats up.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast