Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Shotgun on a boat ... but

I have a friend here in Harrisburg, who wants to get a shotgun to keep on his boat ... that he keeps in Maryland.

The boat is big enough that he lives on it, and he sometimes goes up and down the east coast on it.

He asked me what he needs to know, and I said I've no idea. I do know he does not have a concealed carry permit for PA or any other state.

Thanks for any pointers.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

Default Re: Shotgun on a boat ... but

Are you asking about maryland laws? Are you asking about coast guard regulations? Are you asking about PA law for him to buy one here? Are you asking about federal law about buying one her to transport there? Are you asking which model to buy?

You really need to clarify. As for which one, you simply MUST get a pump-action. Both Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 make "marine" versions. Either is fine. Both are pretty.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

My last post makes me look like a dick.... sorry.

If he isn't prohibited, and is a PA resident. He can just buy 1. If he wants to take it out of state, assuming it's legal for him to possess one in that state, federal law applies and he can do that. Hint, carry it unloaded. In fact, don't even bother bringing ammo although you can with certain restrictions. Just buy the ammo in maryland. As for needing a license to have it on a boat.... well, you don't in PA (but unloaded), maryland I dunno. Also dunno about coastguard rules.

(Northampton County)

Up and down the East Coast is not Maryland and PA. It's a lot of other states as well. He can't just roll ashore with it in NJ unless he has an NJ FID or is on his way directly to an NJ range. Federal law does not cover you hanging around in states where your stuff aint allowed, only passing directly through.

Also, for NJ as an example, there are shotguns that are considered "assault weapons" in that state and are illegal.

I would guess there are similar restrictions in NY and Mass, but I know less about those states. Perhaps other states as well.

As for MD, I know nothing, I avoid it.

When I posted, I was under the impression that this is a big boat that permanently stays on the water. Is that the case? Because like ungawa says, having it in your boat and then pulling it ashore could get you in hot water especially in Jersey.

(Dauphin County)

Ok ... It's a boat that stays on the water so I guess he would buy the shotgun in PA and transport it one time to the boat in MD (unloaded of course)

I guess the real question he has is does he need to check the rules of every state he docks in?

Seems like that's a yes.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

(Lackawanna County)

Can the boat be considered a residence? In which case they should legally be allowed to have it on the boat. Or is the boat a vehicle in which case they need a LTCF or MD equal?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    Can the boat be considered a residence? In which case they should legally be allowed to have it on the boat. Or is the boat a vehicle in which case they need a LTCF or MD equal?
    This is the real question. While you can certainly live on a boat (or in a motorhome, etc.) as soon as you leave the dock, it's become a means of transport, and this a vehicle. Also, can the boat itself, have a mailing address, and do you need one to prove residency?

If you didn't own a "house" or rent and apartment, and could prove that the boat was your sole residency, could you be prosecuted for having the gun somewhere like NJ?

(Dauphin County)

Looks like the easiest thing for him to do is get a Florida CCW, that covers him down the coast all the way to Texas, with the exception of Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by gear-head View Post
    Looks like the easiest thing for him to do is get a Florida CCW, that covers him down the coast all the way to Texas, with the exception of Maryland.
    South Carolina would not agree with your assessment, must be a resident of issuing state to be honored.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast