Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default My dad lost his job today

So today was a pretty shitty day in my household.

My father has worked at a hospital for 28 years, since he and my mother were married. He was one of two employees hired for a new department, which is now 15 years old. He's been the supervisor for 5 years now.

Last Monday he came home under suspension pending termination. Two of the females in the department felt that he had engaged in inappropriate actions for a supervisor. He was given the chance for rebuttal. After waiting on pins and needles all week, he was summoned to the hospital today and fired.

I'm posting about this for one major reason: all you guys should be very careful in regards to women in the workplace. Not because my dad did anything wrong or because you will, but because there are truly nasty bitches out there that could cost you your job.

One of them had to be hired because there were no other applicants. She's been there for a whole four months.

The other one had been looking for a job for a more substantial job within the hospital for years, but no one would hire her. My dad was the only one to take a chance on her, and kept her around even though her performance was downright embarrassing. He hired her because he and my mom used to double date with this woman and her husband years ago. They were friends. I hosted a jewelry show for her. I sat afterward and talked to her and her daughter for hours. She called me to wish me well after my surgery. She's been there for eight months.

If anyone knows me and my sense of humor, then you can imagine my dad because we're exactly the same. He might not have said or done the most appropriate things in a workplace, but he's always fought for his employees and always treated them well. My father is the most decent man someone could ever know. Inappropriate conduct. And he's never had a blight on his record before. What a way to end a 28-year career.

I know this forum is mostly guys, so I'm warning you: BE CAREFUL. Inappropriate conduct is just a company's term for sexual harassment and they'll cover their own asses before giving you a second thought.
    "Pride and dignity are good, but only in moderation." P-11 Shooter

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My dad lost his job today

Does he have an avenue for appeal?

Would a lawyer be able to help?

I understand that in Pa you can be fired at any time and without a reason, but he's gotta have a case.

We all wish him and your family well.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

I feel for you and your family my friend. You do speak gospel in so much as, all people, men and women, must truly watch themselves at work. All it takes is one misinterpretation, and anyone can truly lose a lot. I often check myself because of this. We have a pretty lax attitude toward this at work. But with the influx of new people, you never know how someone coudl take something. Also, it might not even be what the manager truly wants to do... But they're forced to. I had to let go someone who I did everything in my power not to. Guess who he thinks is the jerk? Me. And it sucks. But in this "point the finger" world, you really have to cover your own butt.

I feel for you and yours, and I wish ya the best to pull through... I've recently became quite the transcendentalist. So I'll try to balence that with my religious side & my cynisicm; I'll gladly be a listening friend. Think of everyone you can't live without, and make sure they know that. Do whatever it takes to prevent losing them.

Family is important in times like these. I've learned that ohh so dearly in very recent days. Ever hear the one about the guy who comes back from Europe and finds his home empty, the vehicles gone, the cash gone, everything empty... even the F-ing dog gone? I'll tell you all about it sometime...

Thanks for the warning. I'm really sorry to hear about that. I hope he can find another job soon...might even land a better one. If you need anything, shoot me a pm.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    I feel for you and your family my friend. You do speak gospel in so much as, all people, men and women, must truly watch themselves at work. All it takes is one misinterpretation, and anyone can truly lose a lot.
    All it takes is for a woman not to like you and lie about you no matter how you behave. Never happened to me, but happened at a place I worked.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Does he have an avenue for appeal?

Would a lawyer be able to help?
    The only reason he wasn't fired immediately was to give him a few days to come up with a compelling reason as to why he shouldn't be fired. It was a very, very good letter that he submitted to HR. I know, I'm the one who wrote it.

The facts that remain are this:
    1.) He's a guy
    2.) He's a supervisor
    3.) The complaining parties are women
    4.) The unwritten but implied transgression was sexual harassment (which is particularly funny given that I think every woman out there loves my dad- he's such a pimp)

And that's all it takes. Regardless of what he did, which was no more than some questionable gestures and comments, he did admit to doing them and the hospital would rather squash any sexual harassment claim than try to keep one of its employees.
    "Pride and dignity are good, but only in moderation." P-11 Shooter

(Venango County)

yeah, that's about all it takes, anymore.....I realize the rules/laws/whatever are there to protect the cases where this is really happening, but they're getting some dolphins in with the tuna, sometimes

FWIW if I see you or any of your "sisters" hitch hiking.....guess what....you're still walking......and I may not stop to help if you car is broken down......being a nice guy isn't the best idea sometimes in this sue happy world.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

if what you say is true (half the story situation) then he has a good leg to stand on. fight it. 28 years is a long time. he should fight it if he truly did nothing wrong.

28 years down the tube even if he fights it and wins. his reputation would be ruined if he went back. he would be fighting for a chunk of change, aka pension/pay off
    This Space For Rent

I am sorry to here about your fathers predicament . I hope that he can bounce back quickly .

Do you have a copy of the employer's policies? He may not have actually broken one, it might have been subjective based on your description.

If you're convinced the hospital (employer) was too heavy-handed, he might consider a wrongful termination lawsuit. Even if it doesn't go well, he might get a settlement offer. Like maybe an offer to re-classify his departure as "retirement" with severance commensurate with his seniority.

Silence is acceptance, and unfortunately SH may be a re-employment barrier when he applies for a job elsewhere. If he plans to remain retired, it might be just as well to let it go.

Just food for thought. Have you or your father reviewed options with a lawyer?

Sorry to hear of this, good luck.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast