Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teflon Bullets.

(Montgomery County)

Default Teflon Bullets.

Black Talons were mentioned on a facebook page I'm a part of, and it got me thinking. The reason why those rounds were banned was because idiots, sorry people though they were Teflon coated AP bullets designed to be cop killers.

We all know that's' not the case though. What I want to know is why even just regular ammunition that would be Teflon coated would be illegal. I just don't see the logic, or reasoning behind.

Also, I find it funny that the black talons are banned, but Winchester still has the same exact rounds with the same coating under a different name, without the black color.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Teflon Bullets.

The only restrictions on ammo types that I'm aware of, (in PA) is that AP rounds can't be used or possessed while commiting a crime of violence. So it's just an extra charge.
    Like mister criminal is going to say to himself, "I don't want to break the law, better not use AP rounds for this murder."

And is that .223, 5.56, 7.62, .308, or .30-06 any less of a "cop-killer" because its not Teflon coated. I don't want to be part of that test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    Black Talons were mentioned on a facebook page I'm a part of, and it got me thinking. The reason why those rounds were banned was because idiots, sorry people though they were Teflon coated AP bullets designed to be cop killers.

We all know that's' not the case though. What I want to know is why even just regular ammunition that would be Teflon coated would be illegal. I just don't see the logic, or reasoning behind.

Also, I find it funny that the black talons are banned, but Winchester still has the same exact rounds with the same coating under a different name, without the black color.
    Is that same round the "SXT" (Same Exact Thing)?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Cumberland County)

No one ever said they were illegal, Winchester pulled them as an image thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    The only restrictions on ammo types that I'm aware of, (in PA) is that AP rounds can't be used or possessed while commiting a crime of violence. So it's just an extra charge.
    Like mister criminal is going to say to himself, "I don't want to break the law, better not use AP rounds for this murder."

And is that .223, 5.56, 7.62, .308, or .30-06 any less of a "cop-killer" because its not Teflon coated. I don't want to be part of that test.
    This is correct. Any teflon coated rounds, or any rounds that will penetrate level 2A. So this is almost never an issue. It IS NEVER an issue if you aren't breaking any (legitimately serious) laws. So it's not like if you get a speeding ticket, they'll pop you for this as well.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

Also, I find it funny that the black talons are banned
    They weren't, aren't, and have not been banned.

(Northampton County)

I don't remember exactly how it went but I think the teflon was a barrel-protecting lubricant on a round with a hard jacket. It was the hard jacket that made it go through some vests, not the teflon. People just freaked out and lots of states banned teflon bullets.

(Allegheny County)

There is still the myth that they are the ultimate lethal round.

I knew a guy in 2008 that was bragging about having them as his carry rounds, that had to have been at a minimum 8 years old at the time I saw them.

(Jefferson County)

The Black Talon's weren't coated with Teflon. They were coated with Lubalox, an oxidizing process that is used as a lubricant between the barrel and projectile. ..much like how "moly"(molybdenum disulfide) works.

They weren't banned either. Winchester choose to remove them from production due to bad publicity. The bullets/ammo is still made under the SXT line, just that they aren't black.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

I hope they're not banned.

It's what I keep in my G26.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast