Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: $49.70 For a Tranfer!

Quote Originally Posted by sincitynut View Post
    I have to stand up for the retailer here, The online guys have ZERO overhead to worry about as they most always do it from their home, so they CAN advertise a lower price. A retailer has overhead in electric, water, payroll etc to cover, so it is next to impossible to match online prices. Then when someone buys it cheap on the internet they want to use the retailer and his license to transfer it. The retailer has to log it into his book and do the background check and sometimes has to wait 15-20 mins on hold while HIS customers wait, and that is fair HOW???

Just try running your own gun shop, you will see really fast how little profit margin there really is in firearms because of these online folks. I like getting a deal as much as the next guy, but I do not begrudge a gun shop for making a profit to stay in business.
    These circumstances aren't the norm.

I always try to buy new manufactured firearms locally unless my LGS can't find one at their normal distributor sources. The problem lies with the fact that I buy allot of older firearms that are no longer made through auction sites so I can't buy them locally.

To be penalized north of $35 for a transfer because I happen to appreciate pre lock S&W's is unfair to me. I'll take my business elsewhere thank you.

That's fine i understand a shop has overhead. Then charge 20-25 for a phone call that cost 3-5 dollars! When you charge 50 your just telling the customer you don't want or need their business.
    "343" Never Forgotten

Don Eastburn charges $35 for any transfer:

Donald Eastburn
    200 Margaret Drive
    West Chester, PA 19380

I just did a deal with him and it was easy as pie.

(Chester County)

The 2 times I used my LGS to do a transfer I ended buying another rifle on the spot the first time, not to mention some ammo. The second purchase I also took home a sling, a scope, scope rings, and a few other accessories so it was a win for both of us, both times.

If you see a transfer as a liability then you are a poor businessman. Look at it as a way to sell something else you have in stock or to develop a relationship with that customer.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by 96D View Post
    Met forum member rmonceaux at The Gun Traders Rt61 Reading for a handgun transfer an was told it would be $49.70! I looked at Randy & he looked at me and we started to leave. But we sucked it up because of the travel & time. Needless to say I've NEVER had to pay that much for a single transfer and i've done alot! Most charge 10-25. Charging that much is telling me they don't want your business. Well I don't think they'll get any more from rmonceaux and myself!
    Shoulda went to Kerper's on 625 in Bowmansville. It's not far from Reading and transfers are $10 or $15.

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
    Shoulda went to Kerper's on 625 in Bowmansville. It's not far from Reading and transfers are $10 or $15.

No th last time I did a transfer there ( last summer ) it was I think 30.00

(Cumberland County)

A reputable and honest gun shop will charge $5 if you buy the gun from them - if you are paying more, find yourself a better gunshop ( chain stores however I'm sure have to follow corparate policy which is to make as much money as possible )! If you buy online, or have them do a transfer on any gun not bought from their shop - $25 "ish" is probably average price. $49.70 is a joke no matter what and I would have walked out - if more did, maybe that shop would wake up - no one that charges $49.70 can be running an "honest" business imo!

I disagree that a gun shop charging $5 if you buy from them. It's semantics. Whether they charge you $500 for a gun and $25 for a transfer fee, or $520 for a gun and $5 for the fee it's the same thing. A gun shop only charging $5 doesn't make them any more honest. That being said, not having the transfer rate posted is dishonest, and then having it be excessive is dishonest. Also, having 2 rates for transfer is fair. Perhaps $5 if you buy from them, or $25 if the gun-shop isn't a part of the equation (person selling gun to another person). Charging more than $30 is clearly price gouging, and poor business in my view.

All that being said, I have little empathy for the OP. Such questions need to be asked.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234