Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: $49.70 For a Tranfer!

Quote Originally Posted by B-mac View Post
    And charging twice the going rate is damn sure going to make it so they don't make any money off me on any other proeduct as well...

I always went to Kings in KOP until I wanted an Springfield XD Service shipped to them and I was told "NO". Her reasoning was that she had one in stock to sell me. My price online was $377 w/ free shipping + $20 transfer. Her cost to me was $450, plus tax + the $20 transfer.
    I've only been back there twice to get private pistol transfers done becuase it was close to the seller.

So how do you feel about paying any more than 5.00 for pics? One very popular shop in your area charges more....She is right she is running a business not a charity.

Jeez...and I thought we were getting raped @ $25 a transfer down here.

(York County)

If you're in the Harrisburg/West Shore/York area, I strongly reccommend T n T Gun Shop in Dover. Terry is as nice a guy as you'd ever want to work with! I've bought some guns from him, and had a number shipped to him. He charges $20 for any transfer, inc. PICS. Whenever I'm looking for something I always call him first. In some cases he's actually done as well, or better, that what I've found online, especially when you factor in the shipping. He's also told me straight out to buy a gun and have it shipped into him when he couldn't find it for me, or couldn't come near the price. BTW, if he's even near the price I'll buy from him just to help keep another great local dealer in business. Give him a try.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    Can you blame them? With the way online stores price their firearms, they have to make money on something.

You can bet if you buy online and have it shipped to their store, they'll upcharge the shit out of that transfer since they made no money from that sale.

Stores don't make a lot from their firearm sales.
    As far as I'm concerned, online prices are THE prices. If any store or shop charges noticeably more than an online retailer (not just a dollar or two) I'll just walk out and not spend a dime. This goes for any item, not just firearms. This is 2012, soon to be 2013, online shopping has been the norm for over a decade. If you can't price your sh*t according to current market value based on your competition (which is online) you're not competing, you're just overcharging and hoping some uninformed schmuck is going to swing by and bite the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, online prices are THE prices. If any store or shop charges noticeably more than an online retailer (not just a dollar or two) I'll just walk out and not spend a dime. This goes for any item, not just firearms. This is 2012, soon to be 2013, online shopping has been the norm for over a decade. If you can't price your sh*t according to current market value based on your competition (which is online) you're not competing, you're just overcharging and hoping some uninformed schmuck is going to swing by and bite the bait.

I'll 2nd this one!
    "343" Never Forgotten

(York County)

I have to stand up for the retailer here, The online guys have ZERO overhead to worry about as they most always do it from their home, so they CAN advertise a lower price. A retailer has overhead in electric, water, payroll etc to cover, so it is next to impossible to match online prices. Then when someone buys it cheap on the internet they want to use the retailer and his license to transfer it. The retailer has to log it into his book and do the background check and sometimes has to wait 15-20 mins on hold while HIS customers wait, and that is fair HOW???
    Just try running your own gun shop, you will see really fast how little profit margin there really is in firearms because of these online folks. I like getting a deal as much as the next guy, but I do not begrudge a gun shop for making a profit to stay in business.

Quote Originally Posted by CTFish View Post
    I think gander mtn was 39.99 and maybe cabelas is 75.

20 is at island and shooters bench and firearmtransfers
    Cabela's charges $25.

(Lehigh County)

I'll echo what "sincitynut" said. An online gun dealer has virtually no overhead compared to a gunshop owner. The online dealer doesn't even have to maintain an inventory. All he has to do is place the order from the factory / distributor when somebody orders from him. He can charge 10% above his cost and still cover ALL of his expenses. No so for the store owner. He needs a place to store the inventory. He needs to pay rent, electric, heat / air conditioning, etc. Charging 10% above his cost, there is no way that all of those expenses can be covered. And we're not even talking about employee salaries and making a profit.

As more and more people gravitate to online stores and stop supporting actual gunshops, more and more local stores will disappear and the ones that are left will raise their fees to the point that it will become cheaper to buy locally.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the heads up. Use your great power as a consumer and go elsewhere.

(Westmoreland County)

Capitalism!

Call next time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast