Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Obey STATED policy?

I post this story in another thread about atypical "no carry" signs.

However it begs a broader legal question. Regarding the story below, is it legal for me to ignore their requests? They never said directly that I cannot carry if I fail to obey... But all the same.

Whole Foods in Pittsburgh.

Has a small sign that says in effect "Ask us about our weapons policies"

Funny story. I used to just ignore it, until one day my wife and i were shopping and my wife became cold (she didn't have a jacket) so I offered her my jacket. However I had my 24/7 on my hip... I went to ask CS their policies (never saying I had a firearm). They called the shift manager who told me that open carry is not allowed, and that it I CC, I have to identify myself to the security guard(or shift manager in a guards absence) who will examine my arm and authorize it for carry in the store.

I thanked him for his explanation and walked back to my wife and told her I couldn't give her my jacket due to their no-OC policy.

Funny thing, like out of a horrible spy/comedy movie, the security guard was following us around the store for the rest of the 1.5 hours we were there. And I am not imagining it. He was ALWAYS a little bit down the aisle, or around the corner and kept throwing looks at us when he thought we weren't paying attention.

He never said a thing to us. Just followed us acting like he was inspecting the food from time to time.

Question, am I required to comply with their policy of notifying them?
    This space for rent.... to Conservatives.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Obey STATED policy?

A notes.

This was over a year ago. Usually I now leave my gun in the car or don't go inside.

Also, this is the manager's statement... Is the legality the same if that's just his interpretation of the policy but say it differs from the company's?

I am just 100% against identifying myself when I am carrying concealed. I am also against having a rentacop "ok" my sidearm.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasbalddog View Post
    ...They called the shift manager who told me that open carry is not allowed, and that it I CC, I have to identify myself to the security guard(or shift manager in a guards absence) who will examine my arm and authorize it for carry in the store.
    When Hell freezes over.

Managers and employees tend to give their personal quotes of the companies views on CC/OC in their stores. Best thing I think would be to contact their uppers and ask directly, maybe email or a phone call. Then when you go back to the store you can present with Manager with the TRUE verdict.

I also LOL'ed when you took your jacket back from your chilly wife. Gun covered is more important!

(Delaware County)

"Hey there, person who is paid to observe and report illegal or suspicious activity. I am going to be legally and non-suspiciously exercising my right to bear arms and protect myself and my family while I am in the store shopping to feed the aforementioned people. Please don't follow me around the store for an hour, because you'll literally be doing the opposite of your job."

Ugh. What an asinine policy.

I always like to hear about or see in person when the frightened manager sends over one of his peons to explain to the customer that "you cant carry THAT here..."

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    "Hey there, person who is paid to observe and report illegal or suspicious activity. I am going to be legally and non-suspiciously exercising my right to bear arms and protect myself and my family while I am in the store shopping to feed the aforementioned people. Please don't follow me around the store for an hour, because you'll literally be doing the opposite of your job."

Ugh. What an asinine policy.
    I have to agree with Viper on this one. This is the same thing as having 7 cops show up to a guy OC on the street. While you're wasting your time watching me follow the rules and obey your asinine policy, someone on the other side of the store is possibly shoving a ham down his pants or holding up a cash register. Go ahead and watch me. I'll bet dollars to cents I'm not going to do a cartwheel while you're watching me.

(Westmoreland County)

I didn't take the jacket BACK. I just never gave it to her.

And yes I wanted to make my wife warm... But if things got out of hand she can't drive my car home if someone got stupid and called the police. (she can't drive a manual).

And as for talking to his higher ups. I called their national office and was told that they would contact their policy person and get back to me. They never did. I should call them again.

And yes I wanted to make my wife warm... But if things got out of hand she can't drive my car home if someone got stupid and called the police. (she can't drive a manual).

And as for talking to his higher ups. I called their national office and was told that they would contact their policy person and get back to me. They never did. I should call them again.
    Yes, call again.

And no harm/ no foul intended with the wife!

(Bucks County)

Such a gentleman!
    And yes I wanted to make my wife warm... But if things got out of hand she can't drive my car home if someone got stupid and called the police. (she can't drive a manual).Oh yes she can! They can do it, the car just won't be any good when they get it home. Ask me how I know.

The red sections are mine. I was being funny (for the 'challenged' readers)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast