Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Has your taste in firearms changed?

Just wanted to know if anyone preferences in handguns/rifles has changed over a period of time like mine has.

When I first started collecting firearms, I liked more "modern" or "Tacticool" looking guns like glocks, xd's, m&p's, ar-15's with all kinds of mall ninja accessories that I might never have a need for. As I started to do more research and shoot different types of firearms, I've realized that I am more fond of 1911's, revolvers and bolt action rifles. Its kinda weird and all me being only 23, I should be leaning more towards the "modern" type firearms, but thats not the case.

The one thing I like about 1911's and revolvers that polymer guns cant give you is that hefty feeling in your hands. When I pick up one of the two, I just get the feeling that I'm holding a "mans gun"; something I can pass down to my kids that feels like it's worth its weight in gold or something (you guys get what I'm saying lol).

Don't get me wrong, I still like my glocks but, i look at them as more of a tool than I do my 1911's or my revolvers, even though those are are tools as well.

As far as rifles, I still like my ar-15's and ak's with all the extra accessories and stuff, but I just love the look of a wood stock bolt action or semi even more. So I just wrote this little rant to share how my taste has changed and would like to hear about what you guys prefer over other things as well.

Just surfing the web and came across this pic

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Has your taste in firearms changed?

Yes, to your question. Started out with mil-surp's and AK's. I have only bought 2 Title 1 gun's in the last 3 years all the rest have been Class 3 goodness.
    Last edited by Toxicodendron11; October 8th, 2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: grammar

(Delaware County)

Let me qualify my answer by telling you that I have shot for more than 50 years.

My purchases never matched what I needed / wanted / longed for. But I have created a collection for me and family of rifles and pistols and shotguns. The Class 3 stuff has evaded my checkbook but reloading has not and reloading has fueled a ton of shooting and some serious competition. Without being a braggart the sport and collections have fueled the interests of kids that were mine and members of the pack - all of them have become success stories and some you can find within the bowels of PAFOA.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

I'm too am doing more class III items.

I also wanted a 1911 once upon a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Westmoreland County)

There have been many phases to my collecting over the past dozen or so years. They overlap quite a bit, but the priorities have definitely shifted over time.

Hunting guns
    Carry guns
    USPSA sports guns
    1911's
    AR's
    American battle rifles
    Over-under shotguns
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Allegheny County)

Bear? Holy shit! I wasnt going to post, just happened along here but if your in so am I !

for the OP: yes.

It took me a few years , many guns, and much burnt money to find out I am in fact not a collector. Dont care about historic guns, or who invested what, or what won what battle, or craftmanship in the old world hand tuned sense.

Im a shooter.

I dont care much if its a CZ, G17, or a STI I am just focused on putting rounds on target and the gun is just a way for me to do that. So long as it can perform in the capacity I ask of it thats where my concern ends.

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Has your taste in firearms changed?

Most definitely it has changed over the the years..... used to be that my tastes were pretty simple. A nice hunting rifle and a shotgun or two, a good single action revolver and a semi auto or three. Then I found this site and made some friends, one of which expanded my tastes into double action revolver, AR's and AK's....... all of my guns are shooters, if I can't shoot it I won't buy it. But my eyes have been opened and I have see the light!
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Chester County)

My collection tends to grow whenever I get a desire for a certain firearm stuck in my head. I fixate on it until I actually buy one. It may take days, weeks, months for me to acquire it but... There ya go.

I started with a couple of polymer pistols, but I've been trending toward solid steel goodness.

My collection is kind of all over the place. I think it needs more revolvers now.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Warren County)

careful, revolvers are a slippery slope.... buy one, then it turns into two and next thing you know they are all over your safe.

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    My collection tends to grow whenever I get a desire for a certain firearm stuck in my head. I fixate on it until I actually buy one. It may take days, weeks, months for me to acquire it but... There ya go.

I started with a couple of polymer pistols, but I've been trending toward solid steel goodness.

My collection is kind of all over the place. I think it needs more revolvers now.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Montgomery County)

Right now, my current firearms are a wild bunch as well, from polymer,wood, to full steel guns (which are my favorite). Since I love shooting .357/.38 so much, i'm heavily into revolvers right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast