Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Bucks County School pushing to further limit gun rights!

After a school board member's possession of a LTCF was published in a newspaper article, suddenly the board is concerned? Now they are pushing to move their meetings to a school to be safer? Let's hope the bad guys know the laws and read the signs, since that knowledge will keep everyone safer than an armed citizen in the room.

I hope the NRA is watching this, and comes prepared to defend the constitution.

Gun discussion dominates Council Rock meeting
    By Chris English Staff Writer | Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 10:30 am
    A rather tame Council Rock school board meeting got much stormier Thursday night when the discussion turned to bringing guns onto school district property.
    It stemmed from an incident several weeks ago when school board member Jerold Grupp, one of the board’s Northampton representatives, took his handgun into Holland Elementary School while looking over a renovation project at the school. Students were still on summer vacation at the time.
    The matter was reported to Northampton police, who in turn referred it to Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler for investigation. He declined to charge Grupp because the school board member has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and there were no students in school at the time.
    But the issue has not gone away and dominated the last half of Thursday night’s meeting. At the end, the board voted 7-0 — with Grupp included in the yes votes — to have solicitor Derek Reid draft a revised school board meetings policy designed to ensure that no one brings a gun to those meetings, regardless of whether they have a permit. The motion was made by board member Bill Foster.
    Resident John Rasiej wondered why another policy was needed. Council Rock already has a policy under its “facilities use” section that appears to forbid weapons on any school district property under any circumstances.
    The policy reads: “Possession of weapons are strictly prohibited in our facilities. Violators will be reported to the local police for prosecution.”
    It makes no mention of exceptions for when students aren’t present.
    “Why is the current policy not good enough?” asked Rasiej. “The policy is there. How you choose to enforce it might be the issue.”
    Foster responded that he felt it was important to have a clear policy under the school board meetings section. Meetings are held at the district’s administration center on Chancellor Street in Newtown.
    Earlier in the meeting, board member Bernadette Heenan suggested moving meetings to an actual district school, an action that might make it clearer that guns are not allowed.
    Approached after the meeting by the newspaper’s reporter, Grupp refused to say whether he had his gun with him, whether he normally brings it to school board meetings or whether he would bring it no matter what policy the board passes or where meetings are held.
    “I have a right to do it,” was all he would say and declined to answer more questions.
    During the meeting, Grupp said the staff at Holland Elementary did the right thing by reporting his gun to police.
    “I would never discourage our staff from reporting what they see,” he said.
    Pressed for his opinion on the matter, Reid said his interpretation of both school district policy and state law would forbid taking a gun onto school property even with a permit. Reid did not mention Grupp by name.
    “My opinion is that a person commits a misdemeanor if he or she possesses a weapon at a publicly funded educational institution, but my opinion in regard to enforcing a statute of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is irrelevant,” said Reid.
    “I understand a person has a right to carry a permitted gun, but not in this space, not in this environment,” said Heenan.
    “Mr. Reid has said the law states these buildings are supposed to be gun free,” said board member Patty Sexton. “But apparently the interpretation is not clear. We can pass a policy but we can’t control behavior.”

(Erie County)

Default Re: Bucks County School pushing to further limit gun rights!

glad he wasn't prosecuted but also... their understanding is not supported by actual cases setting precedent. and the more these "sheeple" want "gun free zones" the more those who intend to do harm will be comfortable to do them there!!!.... DUH!!!
    live to ride

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito22lr View Post
    Resident John Rasiej “My opinion is that a person commits a misdemeanor if he or she possesses a weapon at a publicly funded educational institution, but my opinion in regard to enforcing a statute of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is irrelevant,” said Reid.
    I understand a person has a right to carry a permitted gun, but not in this space, not in this environment,” said Heenan.
    “Mr. Reid has said the law states these buildings are supposed to be gun free,” said board member Patty Sexton. “But apparently the interpretation is not clear. We can pass a policy but we can’t control behavior.”
    This school board, along with every other school board in Pa, needs to read the "paintball case".

(Westmoreland County)

Gee, I hope they really do not expect "bad guys" will follow the "gun free" zone BS....He who walks with his head in the clouds surely will stumble.....

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cock&lock View Post
    This school board, along with every other school board in Pa, needs to read the "paintball case".
    Can you provide a link?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by IGPJAP View Post
    Can you provide a link?
    2004 Pa. Super. LEXIS 4949,*;2004 PA Super 485;
    864 A.2d 1251;11 A.L.R.6th 861
    IN THE INTEREST OF: M.H.M., a minor. APPEAL OF M.H.M.
    No. 185 MDA 2004
    SUPERIOR COURT OF PENNSYLVANIA
    2004 PA Super 485; 864 A.2d 1251; 2004 Pa. Super. LEXIS 4949; 11 July 6, 2004, Submitted
    December 23, 2004, Filed

CONCURRING STATEMENT BY KLEIN, J.:

I concur in the majority's decision, but write separately to point out my belief that absent the shooting at buildings and unoccupied cars during M.H.M. 's school lunch break, the possession of the paintball gun would have been for a lawful purpose and M.H.M. would have been able to avail himself of the defense in 18 Pa. C.S.A. § 912(c).

Section 912(c) provides that "it shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose." 18 Pa. C.S.A. § 912(c) [emphasis added]. The evidence indicates that M.H.M. used the gun the night before for a properly sponsored paintball game and drove his car to school, planning to participate in another paintball game after school. The testimony was that the games were sponsored by M.H.M. 's church group. Under those circumstances, the only reason the guns were on

the school property was because they were in the Defendant's car awaiting lawful use at his church [*20] functions.

However, while it is a close case, I believe the unlawful use during the lunch hour deprives the defendant of the defense under 912(c) that he had the paintball guns for a lawful use.

I also write separately to note that the rules of statutory construction and the statutory language of section 912 make for a close case here. It is true that while penal statutes are to be construed strictly, legislative intent must be considered, and words are to be construed according to their common and approved uses. As noted by the cases cited by the majority, "It does mean, however that where an ambiguity exists in the language of the penal statute, such language should be interpreted in the light most favorable to the accused."
    Paintball guns are not the only implements not specifically stated in the statute that can cause serious bodily injury if not properly used. A baseball can cause serious bodily injury, and no catcher would play in a formal game without a mask and chest and shin protectors. No hockey goalie today would face a puck without a mask. n5 Baseballs and hockey

pucks can cause serious bodily injury or even death. So can a pencil if [*21] poked in someone's eye.

What if cat really spelled dog?
    I'm a Rep Virgin