Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Question about driving to TN via NC with multiple guns and ammo

I know similar questions have been asked about carrying a ccw, but my question is more about the quantity of ammo you can transport. In Dec my family is going to TN to spend Christmas with my parents, along the way we will be staying for the weekend at my wife's aunt's house near FT Bragg, NC. My family does a lot of shooting so I'll be bringing a few rifles, pistols, mags, and about 3k rounds ammo total. And because I'll be there for Dec 21st, I was considering tossing in my body armor (I'm not saying anything will happen, but I'd rather have and not need...).
    Driving through MD all guns will be locked in seperate container from locked ammo cans. In VA I'll reload my ccw according to recipriocity laws with my PA LTCF. Everything will be stored discreetly, with no visible signs from the outside.

My question is, is there anything against transporting large amounts of ammo through multiple states.

(McKean County)

Default Re: Question about driving to TN via NC with multiple guns and ammo

I'll comment.

I don't recall any limits on ammo or guns in the states you will be traveling. Of course if you were to be stopped you could get hassled, fer sure labeled as some sort of deviant by local press upon reporting on that quantity of ammo, but I think you have it correct, guns and ammo separate, packed away, as you cross the nanny state of MD. Then you are good.

Check local rules at www.handgunlaw.us - I recall reading that VA, for example, has some strange laws like not allowed to carry in certain places that charge admission, at or near parades, stuff like that. It is good to review each state's rules, maybe print out and have handy a few of the common ones such as reciprocity for each state in case you happen to be stopped and are hassled by a LEO.

Follow ALL the laws, don't do anything to draw attention to yourself, and have a safe trip.
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

Take a close look at NC's carry laws. They are among the most restrictive around, and are a "must inform officer" state. For example, you can't carry where alcohol is served or anywhere admission is charged.

(York County)

Thanks for the comments. I wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked something. I'll just be driving through VA, only gas stops. I understand NC is very restrictive and a "must notify if carrying" state. But I we'll just be at a private residents for the weekend before heading to TN.
    And I'll make sure I've brushed up on VA and NC carry laws before I leave.