Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Holding a gun

Default Holding a gun

Ok I believe that this is legal as I do have my LTCF. Just want to confirm it. My buddy is getting a gun but he does not believe that his landlord will allow him to keep the gun in his apartment. I offered to hold it for him while he is in the city for school so that we can shoot. He was just wondering about any potential legal repercussion if for any off chance that his gun would be stolen while I was in possession of his gun.

Thanks for the help.

Default Re: Holding a gun

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    Ok I believe that this is legal as I do have my LTCF. Just want to confirm it. My buddy is getting a gun but he does not believe that his landlord will allow him to keep the gun in his apartment. I offered to hold it for him while he is in the city for school so that we can shoot. He was just wondering about any potential legal repercussion if for any off chance that his gun would be stolen while I was in possession of his gun.

Thanks for the help.
    Unless he is living "ON CAMPUS" in school housing, how can his landlord prohibit him from having a firearm? Is it in his lease agreement?
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Unless he is living "ON CAMPUS" in school housing, how can his landlord prohibit him from having a firearm? Is it in his lease agreement?
    Jules
    His concern as that his apartment is the basement of his landlord's house. I doubt it is in his lease agreement. I told him to ask his landlord before we make a decision to go this route as he may be okay with it.

(Northampton County)

You'd be fine if you guys have your LTCF....

But like Jules said unless its written in the lease the landlord is SOL.

Is the basement set up as a apartment? Or is the guy just letting your friend crash in the basement? If he has a lease for it and theres nothing prohibiting firearms in the lease, then your friend is fine to keep it.

I assume the basement is set up as an apartment. Ill tell him to check the lease out about the "gun clause".

(Centre County)

If you have your LTCF, then you can hold the gun for him with no problem. However, if you are holding (storing) it for him and it gets stolen, then you are liable for the loss.

If there is nothing in the lease forbidding firearms, then he is free to keep it in his "apartment". That said, I would suggest that he get a good lockable, secureable container to keep it in and keep it out of sight when he wasn't in the apartment.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

It sounds as if the landlord has full time access to the space. I'd recommend getting an inexpensive lockable file box from Home Depot or Lowes (assuming handgun) and keep it and the tell-tale ammo, magazines, etc., in there. Keep a dessicant pack of some kind in there to guard against moisture buildup.

If the landlord breaks into something like that, he is guilty of a crime.

Of course if it's an illegal apartment, then all sorts of things are up in the air.