Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default I applied For my LTCF and have a question

Ok I applied for my permit almost a month ago and if I get it i am undecided on what to carry. I am not familiar with what kind of holsters there are I have tried looking some up online but I dont really understand. I was thinking of going small like a Springfield XD SubCompact but I would like to carry a full size 1911. I am a pretty big guy 6'3 240lbs I am a mechanic so my shirt is always tucked in is there a holster I could buy that will allow me to carry either of these under a tucked shirt. I have pretty big hands and I dont like small guns I have a davis Industries P32 and it is way to small for my hands. I was thinking about just getting a belt holster and only carring when I have a shirt long enough to cover it. If anybody can give me some tips I would appreciate it.

Default Re: I applied For my LTCF and have a question

I have the XDsc and there are tuckable holsters for it. The best seems to be the crossbreed supertuck.

Good for tucked in and not.

Im working on getting one now.

(Chester County)

The best thing I can suggest is to go to a gun shop and fondle... I mean, handle a few guns. See what feels good and fits your hands.

Try to find a shop that rents guns too. Spend a few bucks renting and testing them out. It sure beats buying a gun only to find that you hate it. A fullsize 1911 is going to heavy, even for a big guy like yourself. You may want to consider a polymer pistol.

I carry a fullsize Taurus 24/7 Pro. usually in an OWB DeSantis Speed Scabard. It's a great holster. I also have a Galco IWB Summer Carry holster. It's very good too. I prefer OWB because it's more comfortable.

One thing though... Will the gun dig into your sides while you're working?

There are IWB holsters that you can tuck a shirt into to cover. I forget the brand though. Someone here will know.
    Μολὼν λάβε

If you don't like small guns why not a XD 45 compact, it's 3/4" shorter in the butt of the Magazine than a full size XD or service. which makes it easier to conceal. I carry inside the pant/belt, but don't tuck my shirts (usually a t-shirt). Holsters are harder, got to find something you like and feels good, as well as easy for you to use.

Forgot to mention, you can get it with a 5" barrel now, and with the 13 round sleeved magazine it's the same as a full size XD
    Last edited by tdyoung58; March 9th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    The best thing I can suggest is to go to a gun shop and fondle... I mean, handle a few guns. See what feels good and fits your hands.

Try to find a shop that rents guns too. Spend a few bucks renting and testing them out. It sure beats buying a gun only to find that you hate it. A fullsize 1911 is going to heavy, even for a big guy like yourself. You may want to consider a polymer pistol.

I carry a fullsize Taurus 24/7 Pro. usually in an OWB DeSantis Speed Scabard. It's a great holster. I also have a Galco IWB Summer Carry holster. It's very good too. I prefer OWB because it's more comfortable.

One thing though... Will the gun dig into your sides while you're working?

There are IWB holsters that you can tuck a shirt into to cover. I forget the brand though. Someone here will know.
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

If they don't have what you want listed, email them. I asked them about my CZ p01 and had a response in 10 minutes. Should have it this next week.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan

(Chester County)

+1 for the Supertuck.
    I have worn mine for the last month everyday and love it. Rides very comfortably at about 3:30(just behind my right hip). I haven't tried any other tuckable holsters, but did ALOT of research online before this purchase. It has not let me down. Definitely one to give serious consideration.
    I can wear it under only a t-shirt or tucked in under a dress shirt and you would never(well maybe not to a trained eye...) know it was there. Great response time in ordering too, only took about 2.5 weeks.

(Delaware County)

I use the Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster

Here I am wearing it, untucked & tucked.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay2125 View Post
    I was thinking of going small like a Springfield XD SubCompact but I would like to carry a full size 1911.
    As others have answered your question regarding a tuckable holster, I'll sound off on this one.

Get the XD Subcompact.

A full size 1911 is a wonderful thing -- but the number of people who can (and want to) actually carry a full size 1911 all day long, every day, is much, much smaller than the number who can do the same with an XD Subcompact.

Think about how much a schmuck you'll feel like if you spend all that money on a nice 1911, and then find out that you don't like lugging it around all day. That's much less likely to happed with the XD.

And if it turns out the XD is no problem, you can always, in 6 months or whenever you have the cash, go out and buy a full size 1911 and try carrying it. If it doesn't work out for you, you fall back on the XD. But if you go with the 1911 first and it doesn't work, you're SOL for carry until you get another gun.

I'm not saying that carrying a 1911 is hard, it isn't. I do it from time to time, and I'm a runt compared to you. But doing it every day, all day, definitely requires the perfect holster, the right dress, and a willingness to hitch your pants every few minutes and squirm away from the muzzle. And it'll never be as comfy as carrying an XD, no matter what you do.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the replies guys Well I was at the gun show today and was disappointed in the pistol selection I went to target master afterwards and found a sweet XD Sub Compact 9mm with the night sites used of coarse but it was bought in December so it isn't that old. I picked that up my friend bout one a couple weeks ago and I really liked it I actually shot very well with his haven't tried mine yet but cant wait.

(Tioga County)

I can vouch for that. I carried a 1911 for years OWB at work and play. It takes some effort to be able to carry a 1911 effortlessly. I can carry it IWB, OWB, or Shoulder. In the past year I have switched to an XD45 service. fully loaded it is a tad heavier but I can use it better due to a better hand fit. One thing I would add. If your going to carry a bigger pistol, the belt is as important as the holster. Once you get the right belt getting just right tight wise is important. I actually have two different size pants depending on OWB or IWB. I can carry all day and almost forget its there. It took a long time to get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    As others have answered your question regarding a tuckable holster, I'll sound off on this one.

Get the XD Subcompact.

A full size 1911 is a wonderful thing -- but the number of people who can (and want to) actually carry a full size 1911 all day long, every day, is much, much smaller than the number who can do the same with an XD Subcompact.

I'm not saying that carrying a 1911 is hard, it isn't. I do it from time to time, and I'm a runt compared to you. But doing it every day, all day, definitely requires the perfect holster, the right dress, and a willingness to hitch your pants every few minutes and squirm away from the muzzle. And it'll never be as comfy as carrying an XD, no matter what you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast