Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking for Firearms Training Near SE PA

let me start off by saying i am willing to travel a little ways. i am looking to take a defensive handgun class. it seems direct action tactical is around an hour and a half away from me, so i am highly considering training with them after finding out about them here on the forum. are there any others that i may be overlooking?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking for Firearms Training Near SE PA

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    let me start off by saying i am willing to travel a little ways. i am looking to take a defensive handgun class. it seems direct action tactical is around an hour and a half away from me, so i am highly considering training with them after finding out about them here on the forum. are there any others that i may be overlooking?
    Most local ranges will have short classes. Look at Classic Pistol, Ready Aim Fire, etc. Local guys will put on a one day class here and there, for example Bruce Eimer and some others whose name escapes me but you can find searching posts here.

It does seem that the Palmyra/Harrisburg region is where the training is.

DAT, and also:

http://store.greygrouptraining.com/NORTHERN-RED/ ....has a pistol class next weekend but it appears they require prior training.

...and later in October:

http://www.suarezinternationalstore....ershey-pa.aspx

http://www.insightstraining.com/sect...categoryID_E_4

(Northampton County)

I am planning a defensive pistol class for the early spring of next year. My classes are normally at Guthsville Rod and Gun Club. You can get more information at www.magilltraining.com.

(Allegheny County)

Check the "Training Courses" section on this Board, under "Events." There are literally dozens of providers who post there, and many specific courses listed with dates, times, cost and locations.

PeteG

(Lehigh County)

S & T Training is hosting a Vickers Shooting Method basic pistol class in October at Guthsville, the information is posted in the Training section of this forum. There have been a few guy's from your neck of the woods in these classes in the past. If you have not had any formal training this would be a great place for you to start on your training endeavors.

I think you may enjoy this class - Defensive Handgun I, Doswell, Va.

http://proactiveshooters.com/defensive-handgun-i-2/

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wlptpd3 View Post
    S & T Training is hosting a Vickers Shooting Method basic pistol class in October at Guthsville, the information is posted in the Training section of this forum. There have been a few guy's from your neck of the woods in these classes in the past. If you have not had any formal training this would be a great place for you to start on your training endeavors.
    I took this class in August and really enjoyed it. I thought it covered a pretty good range of info. I haven't taken any of the other classes so I can't compare it to them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    I am planning a defensive pistol class for the early spring of next year. My classes are normally at Guthsville Rod and Gun Club. You can get more information at www.magilltraining.com.
    i would be extremely interested in this. could you possibly provide some more specific info? what are your rates? do you have a class 'outline' that describes topics to be taught, equipment req's, round count etc etc?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wlptpd3 View Post
    thanks im going to check this out now.

(Northampton County)

i would be extremely interested in this. could you possibly provide some more specific info? what are your rates? do you have a class 'outline' that describes topics to be taught, equipment req's, round count etc etc?
    Billy, I offer several courses that might fit what you are looking for. Some are specific to concealed/open carry or defending yourself in the home while some are more generalized. Their full descriptions can be found here: http://www.magilltraining.com/DefenseandCustom.php.

Here is the course description from the Defensive Pistol I course:

Defensive Pistol I:
    This class is one day long and is designed to take someone with basic pistol handling skills and teach them the knowledge/skills needed to successfully use a pistol in a defensive situation. Unlike the Home Defense or Public Carry classes, this class does not focus on a specific setting. This class is unlike other defensive pistol classes in that you will learn not only the basics of the skills, but also advanced applications of these skills. In addition to the classroom-based lessons, this course is conducted mostly on the range. This course is a requirement for Defensive Pistol II.

Classroom Topics include:

Winning Mindset, Physiology of Stress, Combat Marksmanship, and Training Considerations.

Range Skills include:

Advanced Combat Marksmanship, Isosceles Stance, Kneeling Stance, Reload Drills, Basic and Advanced Failure Drills, One Handed Marksmanship, Basic and Advanced Drawing Techniques, Shooting from Retention, Shooting While Moving, Target Identification, and Shooting Under Stress, and Practical Scenarios.

Prerequisites:
    The ability to shoot 10/10 rounds on a vertical 8 1/2" X 11" paper at 7 yards.*
    Documentation of clean criminal history (PA. State Police background check, letter from a local Police Chief, valid PA LTCF, etc.)

Required Equipment:
    Pistol
    2+ magazines/speed loaders
    Range-appropriate holster
    250+ rounds of factory ammunition (no handloads or reloads)
    10 rounds of dummy ammunition
    Hat, Eye and Ear protection
    Documentation of Clear Criminal History

Recommended Equipment:

Sturdy belt that can support the weight of a pistol and spare magazines

Pouch for spare magazines

Cost: $200 / person ($175/ person if household members attend together)
    Deposit: $100 / person

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast