Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: NR permit in Fayette county?

Quote Originally Posted by robert slabaugh View Post
    Just got my firearms license, easiest 15 minutes of my life[not counting my daily nap.] How can it be so hard to get a Pa. drivers license and so easy to get a gun license?
    What's so hard about getting a DL?

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    What's so hard about getting a DL?
    Well, let's see, They won't take cash or debit cards, you have to have a STATE issued birth certificate[ the one I had from 1956, which I used to get a drivers license in 1973 can't be used] and the fact I have Class A CDL wasn't good enough either. The state issued birth certificate was $38 and since I used the internet to order it, was going to be expedited in 20 to 25 WORKING days. Hell, I didn't know you could use the words expedited and 20 working days in the same sentence. After all that, the supervisor tried to disqualify my medical card, even though it was issued in PA.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by robert slabaugh View Post
    Well, let's see, They won't take cash or debit cards, you have to have a STATE issued birth certificate[ the one I had from 1956, which I used to get a drivers license in 1973 can't be used] and the fact I have Class A CDL wasn't good enough either. The state issued birth certificate was $38 and since I used the internet to order it, was going to be expedited in 20 to 25 WORKING days.
    That's ridiculous. Didn't know they make you jump through that many hoops. What happened to common sense? You had a CDL. Bureaucracy at work.

I called ahead to see if I could get a non-Resident permit. They asked my state, put me on hold, did some checking and said no issue if I filled out the form, and brought a copy of my drivers license and my native state carry license.

When I got there, they were confused, that I was out of state. They dug up the rules and told me my state didn't have repricosity, so I could not apply. I mentioned I called ahead and was told it was fine, they replied that the other person might have accepted it, but he would not. Frustrating.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by vpkirk View Post
    I called ahead to see if I could get a non-Resident permit. They asked my state, put me on hold, did some checking and said no issue if I filled out the form, and brought a copy of my drivers license and my native state carry license.

When I got there, they were confused, that I was out of state. They dug up the rules and told me my state didn't have repricosity, so I could not apply. I mentioned I called ahead and was told it was fine, they replied that the other person might have accepted it, but he would not. Frustrating.

Complete garbage from them. Reciprocity has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with holding a PA license to carry.

It makes as much sense as trying to order coffee from a shop and being told they can't sell you any because their wholesaler was out of tea.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Was that Fayette Co.?

Ridiculous.

Call and ask to speak with the sheriff directly.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Was that Fayette Co.?

Ridiculous.

Call and ask to speak with the sheriff directly.
    Yes, that was Fayette County.

Instead, I drove to Westmoreland County and registered there. They were happy to take my registration, though the secretary had to get some help, as it was her first time with a non-resident registration. They also required a letter about why I would like a permit, I modified the example in the Westmoreland NR thread. They said I should get a notification on their decision in 40 days.

I am from Minnesota, with low gas prices we decided on a driving vacation. We had thought about Pennsylvania, but Pennsylvania does not honor the three states I have permits for, and I prefer to vacation where I do not have to disarm. So we decided to vacation and see some sights in Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina which are permit-friendly to what I have. We came from Michigan after visiting the in-laws, so I decided to swing through Pennsylvania and apply for a permit, to use in a future year, on our way. :-) So perhaps I will be back if the permit application is accepted. I was told the permit was at the sherif's discretion, so it may not go through. I thought Pennsylvania was a shall-issue state, but "at the sherif's discretion" sounds more like a may-issue state.

They also required a letter about why I would like a permit,
    Wha????? That's complete BS too from that sheriff.

"Why do I want a permit???"
    "Because the law says I am qualified and that you are required to issue it...that's why".

And also, to legally hunt terrorists

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12