Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NR permit in Fayette county?

Does the Fayette County Sheriff provide non-resident permits? The database here says yes, but their website says you need PA ID to get a permit.

I travel up this way a lot, and my daughter goes to school in Pittsburgh. It would be nice to have a permit.

I tried the Allegheny Sheriff, and they don't do NR permits. Apparently, neither does the Washington county Sheriff, as we drive through there on the way to PA a lot, and they didn't seem too helpful.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

Default Re: NR permit in Fayette county?

I believe they do, but call to be sure:
    724-430-1295.

All PA sheriffs (and Philly PD), of course, are supposed to issue to NRs, but some ignore the law and do not.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; September 28th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

(Bucks County)

Their website says

We will be consistent, impartial, and have a compassionate manner.

We will perform our duty with dignity, pride and honor.
    So they should

I dont see the info on the website...unless I'm just missing it.

(Fayette County)

Fayette County does issue NR LCC permits. With a few conditions.

First and foremost, you must have a LCC for the state in which you are a resident.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109:
    (e)(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following: ...
    (ix)A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

Second, the state for which you have an LCC must have a reciprocity agreement with PA. (So, Ohio & Maryland residents you're out of luck in Fayette County, and most of SW PA. Some NW counties do for Ohio.)

Third of course, considering conditions 1 & 2 are met, you must still pass a PICS check.

Conditions 1 & 2 do not apply to active and retired LOEs. Their credentials satisfy those requirements. Even though LOSA covers them some officers still get or want the permits.

I just called the local Sheriff's department in Fayette County and they informed me that they do not issue non resident permits. I live in Ohio, but my parents live here, and I am legally licensed in Ohio...just thought it would be nice, so that I wouldn't have to exit my vehicle at the line and lock my stuff up in the back of the vehicle.

(Dauphin County)

I added some comments in red below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Talon View Post
    Fayette County does issue NR LCC permits. With a few conditions.
    Second, the state for which you have an LCC must have a reciprocity agreement with PA. (So, Ohio & Maryland residents you're out of luck in Fayette County, and most of SW PA. Some NW counties do for Ohio.)

There's no legal basis for this limitation. An out-of-state applicant only needs to hold a license from his issuing home state. Sheriffs are required by law to issue to all qualified applicants, and state license reciprocity has nothing to do with whether an applicant is qualified.

Third of course, considering conditions 1 & 2 are met, you must still pass a PICS check.

Conditions 1 & 2 do not apply to active and retired LOEs. Their credentials satisfy those requirements. Even though LOSA covers them some officers still get or want the permits.

Non-PA and retired LEOSO-qualified officers may carry concealed in PA per federal law, but IIRC there's is an unresolved conflict regarding carry in school zones because the federal GFSZA doesn't exempt officers carrying under LEOSA. Also my recollection is that LEOSA only protects concealed carry and ignores open carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarlett513 View Post
    I just called the local Sheriff's department in Fayette County and they informed me that they do not issue non resident permits. I live in Ohio, but my parents live here, and I am legally licensed in Ohio...just thought it would be nice, so that I wouldn't have to exit my vehicle at the line and lock my stuff up in the back of the vehicle.
    Depends on whether you want to push it, but they are supposed to issue to all qualified applicants. You could show up with a completed application and $20 and say "I'm applying for a PA license to carry firearms" and see what they do. There's no basis in law for them to not accept an application; if you give them the application and fee you've applied.

If they won't take them from you then you could just put them in the desk in front of the deputy or staff member who normally takes applications. By law the sheriff then has 45 days from application to issue (or deny for good cause, by certified mail). If you give them an application and fee and don't hear anything for 50 days or so you could file an appeal with the court for a constructive denial.
    Last edited by twency; June 30th, 2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: speelling
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett513 View Post
    That's strange. There have been others here who have said Fayette will issue to non-res.
    Maybe call again and hopefully get a different person or email the sheriff directly:
    sheriff@fayettepa.org

I'm visiting now, but I don't live to far from Erie...so I'll just make a trip there...I'll give them my money instead of Fayette County getting it...not worth the hassle...

(Fayette County)

Just got my firearms license, easiest 15 minutes of my life[not counting my daily nap.] How can it be so hard to get a Pa. drivers license and so easy to get a gun license?

(Washington County)

Driving is a privilege. Owning a firearm is a right.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast