Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead Removal

(Allegheny County)

Default Lead Removal

A friend of mine recently gave me a small sample of a chemically treated cloth that removes lead and carbon deposits from guns and barrels. I have to say I used it on a 20 year old 44 magnum I recently purchased which was badly leaded and the front of the cylinder was black from deposits from powder blasts. Literally within a few short minutes the cylinder looked as good as the day it was new and lead deposits were easily removed from above the barrel where it spits out between the cylinder and barrel. This cloth is just short of a miracle.

I tracked it down through it's sale from the original maker to KleenBore who now makes and distributes it. They also sell it as patches to de-lead your barrel as well or you can just cut a square from a cloth.

http://secure.armorholdings.com/klee...roduct174.html

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Lead Removal

Update:

I am going to change this, they did FedEx this order out to make up for missing the order and their freight is cheaper than Dirt Cheap so much so that they are far cheaper in the long run.
    Last edited by wboggs; March 18th, 2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Change of experience

(Bucks County)

Be careful of some of these products. They will remove bluing and in some cases nickel finishes.
    As for barrel leading, take a piece of aluminium screening, cut it to appropriate size and wrap it around a cleaning jag. Use a good bore cleaner for lubrication purposes. Removes lead like crazy and will not harm the barrel. Patches of screen may even have to be cut a tad smaller in some cases.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Be careful of some of these products. They will remove bluing and in some cases nickel finishes.
    As for barrel leading, take a piece of aluminium screening, cut it to appropriate size and wrap it around a cleaning jag. Use a good bore cleaner for lubrication purposes. Removes lead like crazy and will not harm the barrel. Patches of screen may even have to be cut a tad smaller in some cases.

Jeff
    The Lewis Lead Remover is what you're talking about http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...l.aspx?p=21587 these do a great job as well but not as good as this cloth. The cloth would be an excellent follow up to the Lewis Lead Remover though. The Lewis Lead Remover is great for cleaning heavy build up; the cloth polishes any remaining remnant yet can still clean a heavy build up. That's what I cleaned off of my 44, heavy leadding

The instructions warn that it could harm blued finishes but that's only a risk cleaning the outside of a gun not the barrel or cylinder bores. To harm a blued finish you would have to scrub it with the cloth so it's kind of a non issue compared with running a screen down the bore; if you scrubbed the blue finish with the screen it would surely damage it immediately where as the cloth would damage it over time.

(Bucks County)

wboggs,

Are you saying to use the cloth for the inside of the barrel? The Lewis Lead remover sells for about $25.00. A piece of aluminium screen 12" square is about $1.00. The screening is used only on the inside of the barrel. Never the outside. No comparison. Most of us already have jags of various sizes.
    Works for me.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

(Allegheny County)

wboggs,

Are you saying to use the cloth for the inside of the barrel? The Lewis Lead remover sells for about $25.00. A piece of aluminium screen 12" square is about $1.00. The screening is used only on the inside of the barrel. Never the outside. No comparison. Most of us already have jags of various sizes.
    Works for me.

Jeff
    It's for anywhere lead builds up including inside the barrel; it's for anywhere carbon deposits build up, it makes you gun like new leaving a totally lead free surface. You will never get your barrel as lead free with the screen as you can with this cloth; I garantee it.

You might consider that having no personal knowledge or experience with this cloth, spend 4 bucks and see for yourself.. Run a patch of this cloth through your bore after you are satisfied that ALL the lead is removed and see how wrong you are. They sell it in cloth form as well as patches specifically for cleaning the bore.

And I know the screen is never used outside the barrel; I said that because your system is extremely limited and therefore not very effective. The cloth CAN be used outside the barrel. You just keep arguing that this cloth isn't as good as your screen having no experience and I'm telling you, with experience, you're dead wrong.

(Bucks County)

wboggs,
    I am not arguing anything. Just curious. Missed the place you mentioned it comes in patches. You say the cloth works for you. Great. I usually don't get lead in the barrels. Only bad case was with black powder in a .45 Colt. Screen did an excellent job. Powder residue comes off with solvents. What ever turns you on.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

(Bucks County)

gboggs,
    You piqued my interest. I went and checked all of my cleaning supplies and lo and behold I found a 3"x1 3/4" package. Package is red, white, and black. Says "Lead Away" gun cleaning patches. Made by Kleen Bore. This is the stuff I originally tried on my Colt. There were 25 patches in the pack. Changed the patch just about with every pass down the barrel. Used most of them. Didn't work well enough for me. Not impressed. Went to the screen. So Bud, I did try it, and I did not like it. By the way, the sticker on the package is priced at $2.25 so one can assume these were purchased awhile ago. If in your opinion they work so well send me a PM with your address and I will mail the balance of the pack to you. My treat.
    If you would like I can also send a sample of the screen for you to field test.
    Take care,

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

(Allegheny County)

Well they have No. 10 Copper Cutter too if you're not shooting lead. I'm jut wondering then why you use a screen to remove lead if you dont get lead in your barrel? To really clean your gun and protect your gun from the effects of lead, you have to remove more lead than you can see if that's what you mean by not getting lead in your barrel. If you're firing lead, you're getting lead in your barrel. After cleaning your barrel with this stuff, your barrel shines like it's high polished; unlike I've ever seen before. When the patch stops getting black inside, there's no lead. That's why I say go ahead and run your screen through till you think there's no lead then run a patch through and see how wrong you are. Your barrel hasn't looked like this stuff makes it since you bought your gun (if you bought it new).

(Allegheny County)

gboggs,
    You piqued my interest. I went and checked all of my cleaning supplies and lo and behold I found a 3"x1 3/4" package. Package is red, white, and black. Says "Lead Away" gun cleaning patches. Made by Kleen Bore. This is the stuff I originally tried on my Colt. There were 25 patches in the pack. Changed the patch just about with every pass down the barrel. Used most of them. Didn't work well enough for me. Not impressed. Went to the screen. So Bud, I did try it, and I did not like it. By the way, the sticker on the package is priced at $2.25 so one can assume these were purchased awhile ago. If in your opinion they work so well send me a PM with your address and I will mail the balance of the pack to you. My treat.
    If you would like I can also send a sample of the screen for you to field test.
    Take care,

Jeff
    You're using it wrong; wrap a patch around your bore brush and run it back and forth for a long time. It doesn't matter if it turns black, it will work till the patch shreds. I used a 1x1 patch to clean a whole gun, inside and out and it was just about completely shredded when I was done and there was no lead anywhere on the gun anymore. If you run it through with a patch tip, you wont get near the pressure needed to scrub the inside of a bore.

Use it right and it will work much better than any screen method. the screen requires it gets a good bite on all surfaces; how do you clean the edge of your rifling? Screen wont do that; cloth will since it chemically cleans and molds to the rifling in the bore. the only cloth I have used was over 20 years old and I cant believe how good it works; I cant wait to use the new stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast