Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default m4 Profile barrel

can an m4 profile barrel that is threaded and is 16" long without the flash hider be cut shorter and re threaded so that the existing FH could be screwed back on and pinned?

i wonder also if there are 14" threaded barrels available to buy and if it would be around the same cost as the work on the existing m4 barrel.

it would seem to me that the heavier part of the barrel would have to be taken down so im not sure if that is even possible.

what, if any, effect on accuracy would shortening my barrel have?

i could shorten my barrel by 2". ( i think that is substantial) the YHM Phantom is well over 2" long and it would leave me well over 16" barrel length.

Thanks in advance! R
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: m4 Profile barrel

Yes, but you have to permanently attach the muzzle device. And, you cannot cut the barrel down with the barrel ON the gun because once you make that final stroke you effectively have a SBR. ...even with the barrel off you are in constructive possession of a SBR.

I personally wouldn't do it with an AR15 receiver anywhere within the same building or on the same property. ...once the muzzle device is permanently fixed to the barrel would I bring the barrel/upper in close proximity of a lower.

Permanently fixed requires some very specific rules to be followed by. Typically it requires a blind pin and welded over pin ends.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    can an m4 profile barrel that is threaded and is 16" long without the flash hider be cut shorter and re threaded so that the existing FH could be screwed back on and pinned?

i wonder also if there are 14" threaded barrels available to buy and if it would be around the same cost as the work on the existing m4 barrel.

it would seem to me that the heavier part of the barrel would have to be taken down so im not sure if that is even possible.

what, if any, effect on accuracy would shortening my barrel have?

i could shorten my barrel by 2". ( i think that is substantial) the YHM Phantom is well over 2" long and it would leave me well over 16" barrel length.

Thanks in advance! R
    You would need a 14.5" barrel and a phantom pinned and welded to make legal. Yours can be cut and threaded and for this I'd reccommend www.adco.com

I have a LMT 14.5" M4 barrel with phantom and mine easily shoots sub MOA with certain ammo.

Shot this with XM193

you guys are awesome!! thank you. i will look into the link
    R.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine