Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Non Lethal Options

I'm interested in hearing the viewpoints of those of you who have considered, might consider, or have already added, a NLD (Non Lethal Defense) option as part of your personal defensive strategy.

Though it's safe to say the vast majority of us here firmly believe in the right to self defense, there are still laws that oblige us to observe the Use Of Force continuum. In other words, we can't just blast someone for calling us a bad name, or shoving us while we wait in line for popcorn at the movies.

We all know laws vary from one state to the other and an engagement inside your home is far different than one outside. For instance, states like New Jersey have a 'retreat' requirement, and states like PA or FL have 'stand-your-ground' laws. Also, the Use Of Force (UOF) continuum differs depending on the scenario - either inside the home or out in public.

There may be many of you who are desirous of having a less-lethal option such as pepper spray or Taser / Stun Gun as an opportunity to give a moment of pause before the 'final option', even in a home defense scenario.

I was wondering if any of you have added, or have been considering, an NLD solution in tandem with your firearm(s) of choice, be it a handgun, shotgun or rifle. If so, what would it be, how would you employ it (weapon mount, pocket, etc) and under what scenarios do you envision having to use it?

Please confine your responses to Pepper Spray or Taser - something that can be used at standoff distances. I'm not looking for feedback on hand-to-hand stuff like martial arts or other methods.

Arguments pro and con are encouraged, let's just keep it civil.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Non Lethal Options

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    I'm interested in hearing the viewpoints of those of you who have considered, might consider, or have already added, a NLD (Non Lethal Defense) option as part of your personal defensive strategy.
    I'm considering buying myself a .32 cal for that
    Je suis déplorable

I've had excellent real world results on numerous occasions with Sabre defense spray. Not just using it either. The mere act of shaking it up in front of someone while telling them you are going to pepper spray them intimidates most people into not being a douche bag.

(Northampton County)

I'd stay away from tazers in PA. While there may be an exception which is almost ludicrous to follow, tazers are pretty much illegal in PA.

(Monroe County)

-For inside the house: The dog goes in first. "Chew em up Fido!"
    -For outside the home: I tell my wife, "This is the guy that told me to buy all those guns!"

Either way the BG is probably going to wish I had chosen the lethal options!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    I'd stay away from tazers in PA. While there may be an exception which is almost ludicrous to follow, tazers are pretty much illegal in PA.
    And extra illegal in Philadelphia.

Tazers are illegal in NJ too I believe.

I'm in the service industry and routinely travel into 'anti' states, so daily gun carry isn't an option. I keep a Kimber Guardian Angel clipped to my dash or belt. The wife and daughter have 'em too. We trained with some old ones a couple years ago and they are head-accurate to about 10'- even for a first-timer. Pepper spray is nasty enough to stop most attacks. Alright, maybe not a crazed meth-head but it's better than being completely disarmed. And, last time I researched it, pepper spray is OK to possess even in NYC as long as you're not a resident (go figure).

Kimber's current model is the 'PepperBlaster'. Looks a little too much like a gun IMO. I'll stay with the old model as long as I can.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster
    Here's a review:
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...ter-ii-review/
    Last edited by arks; September 19th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.

Keep in mind that any cannister over .75 oz is illegal in NJ, HOWEVER, it is perfectly legal to carry multiple .75 oz cannisters

I keep 2x .75oz Sabre Defense Spray cannisters in my center console. His and hers, or if i'm alone, i can dual wield. LOL.....

Sabre defense spray has CS riot control gas mixed with OC pepper spray. So far over the years i've used it on a hit and run driver, 2 irate repossesses, and 1 crazed Russian stalker. In an enclosed area, even the fumes alone are enough to drive everyone out of a large garage, let alone a small enclosed space like a car.

It works quite well.

PS: WHEN USING SPRAY, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SPRAY WITH THE WIND, NOT INTO IT.

You probably will get some pepper spray on you if you have to juice someone, so be very careful not to touch your eyes or face with your hands after you've deployed the stuff.

(Chester County)

Good enough for Zombies, good enough for me

http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-...r-Spray/Detail

but seriously, I have used sabre red products first hand and will vouch that it sends stray dogs, and drunken frat boys moving the other direction. But as another poster said expect to get a wiff of it yourself - Ive got packets of Sudecon Wipes in car in case some gets on me. They help somewhat to minimize burn / pain enough to drive home or whatever if you dont have PD/FD on scene

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast