Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default I challange you to attend an Appleseed Shoot

OK, took my daughter to an Appleseed shot this past weekend in Butler PA. We had a really good time. And she said it was way more fun than she expected it to be. (Honestly was surprised by this comment)

Now, I'm a pretty good shot. But I'll be darned if I shot well enough to earn my Rifleman Patch. I can give my list of excuses. But no matter what they are, the fact remains that I didn't make it. (I will be going back again)

This made me wonder just how many people on this forum, that think they are such good shoots, would actually qualify at one of these events.

I can tell you this much. You have to shoot well if you plan on getting your Rifleman Patch. I really went to this thing thinking that getting my patch would be an easy thing to do.

So, if your up to the challenge. Attend an event and see how good you really are.
    Those of you that are such a good shots that your sure you will earn your patch. Well, then just attend on Sunday if your convinced you are good enough to qualify and don't think you need to really learn anything.

I'm betting that the majority of people on this forum WILL NOT QUALIFY for the Rifleman Patch. (If you already have earned your patch. Good going.)

Me, I'm going back again ( I think I'm hitting the one in Lewistown in about 3 weeks), and this time I'm making it darn it. Maybe you'll see me there.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: I challange you to attend an Appleseed Shoot

I thought I was going to own one my first time, was highly frustrated and surprised I didn't (highest score was a 204 I think).

some months later I went again and had more fun, still learned some things, and got my patch with a 226

First time was a 10/22 with tech sights, second I was one of those guys and added a 4x scope
    interested in a cz kadet kit, if anyone's selling

(Allegheny County)

From my single experience you putting yourself at a huge disadvantage not using a scope. I could barely make out the targets for stage 4. I wish I would have used the money I put into tech sights into a decent scope. I was not impressed with tech sights on my marlin 795. They required tons of adjustments to properly zero and the rear sight fell off when I bumped it despite having locktite on the screw AND the rail.

(York County)

Could someone fill me in on some info about these shoots?
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by G23neverjams View Post
    Could someone fill me in on some info about these shoots?
    Check out this link: http://wordpress.knitebane.net/tag/appleseed/

If there are no Appleseed events in your area I suggest you also look into either the Civilian Marksmanship Program or NRA High Power. Many Gun clubs run one or the other.

http://www.odcmp.com/

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/highpower.asp
    Last edited by Hawk; September 18th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

while scopes def make it easier to see the target, i think irons are more in tune with the whole appleseed vibe, plain jane marksmanship.

id like to make rifleman with my garand, but god damn did that hurt my shoulder after the 2nd aqt
    interested in a cz kadet kit, if anyone's selling

(Cambria County)

On another forum, I saw pics of the targets that a guy shot using the Tech Sights at an Appleseed event. I was very impressed. So, if your eyes are in good shape, you can shot well with Tech sights. My daughter likes her sights and doesn't want a scope.

I'm hoping to hit another event that is coming up in Lewistown in Oct. I was really surprised that I didn't qualify the first time. It was a real eye opener for me.

If your not flexible, I recommend that you start stretching now. I couldn't get into the siting position very well. That hurt my score big time. I am currently stretching every time a commercial comes on TV.

Want to find a shoot near you. Click this site and then hit Events near you.
    http://appleseedinfo.org/

They also have Winter shoots so you can earn a patch for shooting in the cold. That may be on my list of things to earn after I get my first patch.

(Chester County)

The secret is practicing a lot beforehand. Try to shoot Rifleman score in practice. Read the tips/tricks on their (Appleseed, "AS") website.
    Set up your rifle- ex. 10/22 with sling swivels, GI web sling, and Tech-Sights (the base model TS will do) Adjust your sights for 25 meters (~27 yards)
    I practiced with printed/photocopied AS targets, at my local club, about 10 range sessions over 3 months. Learn which brand of ammo works best (CCI Mini-Mags for me) Practice getting into and holding the Sitting and Prone positions at home while watching TV (makes family members VERY concerned) This stretches muscles in ways you are not used to, and if not experienced in it you will be uncomfortable and it will effect your accuracy. Buy at least 4 mags, and a shooting mat, buy an ACE elbow wrap/"pad." don't forget a towel to wipe sweat off face and glasses, bring DEET, have a hat with brim to keep sun off your head/eyes, binoculars so you can see how you're doing during the slow-fire prone round, etc. etc. All the preparation and "special forces tactical gear" listed above helped me shoot Rifleman on 2nd attempt of the 1st day.
    Last edited by Enfielder; September 18th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Enfielder View Post
    The secret is practicing a lot beforehand. Try to shoot Rifleman score in practice. Read the tips/tricks on their (Appleseed, "AS") website.
    Set up your rifle- ex. 10/22 with sling swivels, GI web sling, and Tech-Sights (the base model TS will do) Adjust your sights for 25 meters (~27 yards)
    I practiced with printed/photocopied AS targets, at my local club, about 10 range sessions over 3 months. Learn which brand of ammo works best (CCI Mini-Mags for me) Practice getting into and holding the Sitting and Prone positions at home while watching TV (makes family members VERY concerned) This stretches muscles in ways you are not used to, and if not experienced in it you will be uncomfortable and it will effect your accuracy. Buy at least 4 mags, and a shooting mat, buy an ACE elbow wrap/"pad." don't forget a towel to wipe sweat off face and glasses, bring DEET, have a hat with brim to keep sun off your head/eyes, binoculars so you can see how you're doing during the slow-fire prone round, etc. etc. All the preparation and "special forces tactical gear" listed above helped me shoot Rifleman on 2nd attempt of the 1st day.
    I have started getting into the sitting position (the one that I could not do) when watching TV. I do it during the commercials.

I think I took for granted that I was a "good shot". I should have practiced more. I will be practicing more now that's for sure.

Shooting pads on sale at Midway right now. I also got elbow pads. Everyone that didn't have them, commented that they wish they had them when they saw mine. Those without had raw elbows.

Bring lots of water to drink. I also had Ibuprofen that I took regularly to ease the muscle tension before it started.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I have started getting into the sitting position (the one that I could not do) when watching TV. I do it during the commercials.

I think I took for granted that I was a "good shot". I should have practiced more. I will be practicing more now that's for sure.

Shooting pads on sale at Midway right now. I also got elbow pads. Everyone that didn't have them, commented that they wish they had them when they saw mine. Those without had raw elbows.

Bring lots of water to drink. I also had Ibuprofen that I took regularly to ease the muscle tension before it started.
    You can get a "yoga " mat at 5 Below for you guessed it $5.00.Worked out great for my carbine class last month.Elbow pads great idea.Those without had raw elbows. (Me.)
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast