Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Arrow Gun Vault room suggestions

Hey guys I got awesome advice in the past on here so I figure I would try it again. I am nearly done making a gun vault room. I just installed a beefy steel security door today. The room is an old oil tank room. its filled cement block on each side. My concern is moisture. the room is located in my basement. Any suggestions as to keep things at the proper temperature / moisture conditions. I have a giant dehumidifier I run about 1-2 times a week for a few hours in the main area of the basement. The vault room is sealed off really well from the remainder of the basement so I don't think the dehumidifier will work in the vault room. My basement is not really damp, but It gets a little musty unless I run the dehumidifier.

Any suggestions how I can control the climate in the room? The room is 16ft x 10ft. I want something smaller and carefree. I dont want to have to go into the vault daily to turn on and off a dehumidifier.

Thanks for your help!

Goodie

(Chester County)

Default Re: Gun Vault room suggestions

Can you run your dehumidifier into a sump them have a sump pump, pump it out as needed?

I think that is about the only way to do it and keep it easy on you for maint. This will of course raise your electric bill, but then convenience always cost money.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Philadelphia County)

You can get dehumidifiers that try to keep the room to a certain level of humidity. They need attention occasionally to empty the tank / clean the filters but they don't have to be turned on and off every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
    Hey guys I got awesome advice in the past on here so I figure I would try it again. I am nearly done making a gun vault room. I just installed a beefy steel security door today. The room is an old oil tank room. its filled cement block on each side. My concern is moisture. the room is located in my basement. Any suggestions as to keep things at the proper temperature / moisture conditions. I have a giant dehumidifier I run about 1-2 times a week for a few hours in the main area of the basement. The vault room is sealed off really well from the remainder of the basement so I don't think the dehumidifier will work in the vault room. My basement is not really damp, but It gets a little musty unless I run the dehumidifier.

Any suggestions how I can control the climate in the room? The room is 16ft x 10ft. I want something smaller and carefree. I dont want to have to go into the vault daily to turn on and off a dehumidifier.

Thanks for your help!

Goodie
    I would suggest running a seperate dehumidifier in the gun vault. Other options I can think of are installing a supply and return duct from your furnace into the vault if you have forced air heat/ac. Also, if the vault is large you could install a gas fireplace to remove moisture, I have a friend who did this in his vault. If none of that works only other thing I can think of is goldenrods or a product called "damp rid". Good luck with your new vault.

(Allegheny County)

These aren't exactly cheap options, but they're pretty effective.

Bentonite clay injection
    http://www.greatlakeswaterproofing.c...ng-system.html

Xypex
    http://www.hi-dry.com/

(Northampton County)

You can get a dehumidifier thats on a timer and has a drain into a sump. Also the dollar stores around me carry these little things that suck moisture out of the air. They actually work really well for $1 and last about a month.

(Chester County)

Depending on the ground level you can actually hang a dehumidifier and run a pipe straight out side. My sister did this in her basement. Runs on a timer and and just drains outside.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Gun Vault room suggestions

pick up a decent dehumidifier. these usually have a control that you can set to a specific humidity level. when the level is exceeded the humidifier comes on and will shut off automatically when your set level is reached. also pick up a condensate pump. the humidifier can dump into the pump and the pump will pump out the water to a location of your choosing. the pumps also work off a float system and will turn on and off as needed. next you will need some type of heat. may i suggest electric free standing or baseboard type. remember cold steel will get condensation on itself even at low humidity levels. this will result in rust, a gun owners nightmare. this is about as maintenance free as you can get. just a occasional cleaning of all components is needed. approx. costs? dehumidifier= 300, pump= 100, heat= 200, misc. parts and pieces= 50. this can be done for less my $ figures are on the high side. just remember quality does equate to longevity and function.

Op you will need to balance the humidity with heat. Too dry and the wood on the guns will dry out and crack. To damp and well as you know , rust!

Good humidity is about 50 to 55%.

I have a similar set up as you described. My room is about 12x14. All concrete block. A dehumidifier runs in automatic mode. The water, condensation is piped right to a sump pump. I run a fan on low speed to circulate the air. The room has one air intake from the first floor. The air is pulled in by a duct fan booster. The fan is on a timer. 12 hrs on during the heat of the day. Then 15 minutes through out the night on the hour. The room has one vent out into another room. The humidity is right about 53% and the temperture is about 70 and cool.

The duct work & fan I picked up at lowes for under $150. Thermometers with humidity gauges came from wal mart. They were about 2 bucks each. the dehumidifier was 217K it came with the house .
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.