Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How many times do you chamber the same +1 round?

1 Time
    10 or more
    20 or more
    Use the same round till i need to use it!

I'm asking this because i am just learning about setback. I spot checked a friends gun who carry's every now and then and he must have chambered the same round about 40 times needless to say the round was allot shorter then a new round (round discarded). I use Hornaday 40sw 165 grain in my Glock 22 gen4 and i chamber the same round 3 times before i put in the range bag for my next trip.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

Default Re: How many times do you chamber the same +1 round?

I have gone as much as 30 in a month with no issues on my guns,but some guns its more noticeable on the round.

(Northampton County)

No kids around so I keep my guns loaded. I will rotate round after 2 chamberings.

(Bucks County)

There was a report about that but our Search engine is not the best and I can't find it ...... I rotate about every 5-10 in my daily and use that mag 1st at range
    Last edited by Sharkey; September 16th, 2012 at 06:29 PM.

I'm glad you brought this up. It's a new concept for me. Never heard of setback before but it makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

(Philadelphia County)

The likelihood of setback varies by gun, ammunition and caliber. I've never observed it in 9mm Glocks, but then I don't re-use the same cartridge more than three or four times and I use Gold Dots, which are pretty solid. I have heard of a separate problem with Gold Dots, which is that the hollow point will tend to get pushed closed over time.

Different guns and bullet shapes / sizes will mean different amounts of force on the bullet as it is fed into the chamber. I've heard that .45 ACP is more prone to problems than 9mm because the wider bullet gets pushed harder by the feed ramp, but I don't own any .45 to verify this.

I think it's smart to keep a close eye on your +1 round, both for length and any other signs of wear.

(Allegheny County)

I use the same one a gillion times. But I don't chamber it off the magazine. I drop it in the chamber and let the slide close on it. Which beats up the rim a little and can be tough on the extractor. Boohoo, as these parts are like a few $'s on a Glock. And since I've unchambered a round set back far enough to blow my hand off. This is the way I will always do it. The gun likes golden sabers and shoots them with uncanny accuracy. So, since they are at least OK performers, its what I use. But after a few chamberings they will set back. I check them against an unchambered round before I chamber them again as well. (Yes even in 9mm)

It may seem like superstition at this point. But I shoot my guns fairly often so carry ammo gets kicked out and replaced with FMJ all the time. Ymmv

But if you would have seen how far that round was set back you'd probably understand my abundant paranoia it will happen again. Unfortunately I can't afford to just shoot up all the JHP's constantly. So I found this to be a work around.

(Chester County)

Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Allegheny County)

Once.

I mark the first round that gets chambered from a mag full of fresh ammo. When it comes up to the top of the mag I swap that mag out for a spare mag. Once the three mags all have once chambered rounds I take the oldest one and that ammo gets replaced with fresh ammo and the once chambered ammo get's set aside for range use.

This allows me to test defensive load ammo, make sure my defensive ammo is no to old and makes sure I am only firing a round that has been chambered at most once.

The firearm stays loaded except for trips to the range and dry fire practice. I usually do one or the other once a week. Ammo has a loaded mag life of about 46 (3x15+1) weeks.
    Last edited by QuackXP; September 16th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.

I don't keep track, merely inspect the round and rotate out my defensive ammo about every 4-6 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast