Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Tell Me About Dehumidifiers...

OK, so we finally got a safe, and I'm looking at dehumidifiers, and I have a question. How do you get the cord out of the safe without taking away from the integrity of the safe?

With being in front of my safe at the moment I'm kind of at a disadvantage to inspect it for openings other than the bolt holes, but what I'm wondering is if anyone has a dehumidifier, how did you run the cord out?

I'm thinking if the plug is small enough, that I might be able to run the cord out from a bolt hole, and as the safe is still on the pallet, I could run the cord right out form the bottom to the outlet.

THIS is the safe we got.

And yes, I plan on calling Liberty to see what they suggest but that's going to have to wait till lunch time.

Thanks in advance.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Centre County)

Default Re: Tell Me About Dehumidifiers...

I use thin fluorescent tube lights in my safe. They provide lighting with the side benefit of acting as dehumidifying rods. I leav 'em on 24/7 and they only cost $12 each (I have two, 24" long tubes mounted inside the door jams of the safe).

I chopped a 3-prong power strip cord and ran the cord into the safe through a side bolt hole near the bottom. I spliced the cord back together with solder and sealed/insulated it with quality adhesive-lined shrink tubing.

Splice the cord....Now why the hell didn't I think of that. Good grief. I guess I was over complicating things.

That's the ticket, thanks for the help.

(Montgomery County)

Or, you could go this route and not have to deal with any cords. Just plug it into a wall socket for a few hours every couple of months or so.

http://www.remington.com/products/ac...humidifier.asp

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Or, you could go this route and not have to deal with any cords. Just plug it into a wall socket for a few hours every couple of months or so.
    Not a bad little idea. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the heads up on that.

(Northumberland County)

I also use a dessicant type dehumidifier in my Sturdy Safe as it does not have a electical cord opening either. I use a Eva-Dry, model 500 I think, and it works well, just plug it in when the crystals change color.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Luzerne County)

My liberty safe had a hole in the back. i did have to push a hole through the dry wall. i put a mutuality outlet cord in the safe. one outlet for the golden rod, and extra outlets for when i decide to add lights. It gets pretty dark in the back of the safe.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Westmoreland County)

The Golden Rod

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005569210423a.shtml

Comes with a removeable plug. Just pop the plug off the end and run the ccord through the hole in the bottom center of the safe. It heats up and stays warm, pushing the air out of the safe. Mine has been working well for 5 years.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"