Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Carrying with one in the chamber is Unsafe

I was with my wife and my daughter at Kmart in Uniontown tonight shopping for a few things. I was OC'ing my Glock 23 as always with a SERPA holster 3 o'clock. Tonight was the first time I also decided to carry with one in the chamber.

We were walking through the isles when I heard someone say "Open Carry huh?" I turned around to see an older fellow and this is pretty much what was said:

Me: Yeah, how about you?

He then motioned to his right side, I noticed he had something concealed.

Him:Ruger 9mm. I didn't know anyone around here open carried.

Me: I am fairly new to it, a few other people do it around here without any problems.

Him: You dont carry one loaded and ready do you?

Me: Funny you mention it, this is the first time I ever got the gull to do it. I'm usually too nervous about it. How about You?

Him: Nope, never, it is way too unsafe. I think people that carry with one in the chamber shouldn't carry a gun.

Me: Funny I thought I was the only one who was nervous about it, but why not? I'm sure you know the whole argument about not being able to rack the slide, your other hand being disabled, failure to feed...

He interrupted me saying: Remember when you learned to shoot? The 3 rules were this: (he started getting kind of mad at this point) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot, Always treat a weapon as they were loaded, and keep the GODDAMNED thing pointed in a safe direction! How are you keeping it pointed in a safe direction when you have a LOADED firearm pointed either at yourself, other people or your family???

Me: Well I suppose that is true.

Him: Well I think you should reconsider what you and those "other guys" that carry do. You are breaking fundamental firearm safety. There's nothing safe about having a loaded firearm pointing every which way, safe gun or not. he went on to say my holster set up wasn't so bad because I would either get it in the foot, leg or hit the ground, atleast I would KILL anybody as he put it. But he motioned over to my 2 year old saying "what if she was hanging on your right leg when that thing happened to go off??"

Me: That is very true. I definitely don't want anything or anyone to hurt her. Thats why I am carrying.

We talked a few more minutes about how he only loads his weapon if he is about to shoot. and that people should handle their firearms more safely.

His opinion really didn't sink in, but I just thought it was interesting to meet someone so strong against putting a round into the chamber. He got me thinking that if I was standing behind a concealed carrier with a shoulder holster I don't know how comfortable I would be knowing I might either be looking right down his loaded barrel (not in my case because I am very tall) or COULD end up with a round right in the chest.

The rest of our evening went well, and I kept my gun chambered...

Anyways, I suppose I could call this my first Open Carry incident.
    Last edited by Glock_23; September 14th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Carrying with one in the chamber is Unsafe

Well, he is entitled to his opinion. But I feel comfortable with one in the pipe.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Lackawanna County)

with a well designed holster there is zero chance of a round going off. If he can manipulate the trigger through that piece of horsehide and kydex I carry in then he's pretty damn impressive. If you dont carry it chambered better have a good arm to throw it at someone.

(Lancaster County)

Those aren't really rules, they're more of guidelines.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Carrying with one in the chamber is Unsafe

fwi i disagree with him. if i,m gonna carry it,s gonna be ready to go. btw i always carry. a properly maintained and correct condition and properly carried gun is not gonna go bang all by itself.

Rest assured that your Glock's trigger, firing pin and drop safeties won't allow it to just "go off" into your daughter's head if she was hanging on your leg.
    Jules

(Fayette County)

As I said, I kept my gun chambered tonight, and I plan on continuing to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Well, he is entitled to his opinion. But I feel comfortable with one in the pipe.
    It's certainly "less" safe, being at least one step closer to firing than being unchambered. Driving 65 MPH is less safe than 55, too, because you have more energy to cause injury, less time to react.

Life is not safe. I will point out, though, that the person carrying is probably the least likely to be shot or killed, because usually the muzzle is pointed away at some other person, or at least parallel to the carrier. When you sit, stand, get out of a car, get into a seat at a restaurant, bend over to pick up something, that muzzle does tend to sweep other human beings. The fact that concealed carry means that those potential victims won't see it coming is only useful in preventing them from complaining in advance.

Truth is, I would feel uncomfortable with a holstered, chambered gun aimed at me for the duration of a bus trip. And that's hardly irrational, the carrier is betting MY life that his safety and sear and hammer will never, ever fail. Machinery fails, all the time. And I'm sure that when your chambered gun malfunctions and puts a round into some kid's face, you'll blame the gun, when in fact it was the fault of the person in control of the gun.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

I feel it is extremely unsafe to carry in any condition other than 0/1

Loaded, locked, racked, chambered and safety off (dont have an external one) is the only way for me

If you don't trust your guns safety features, holster quality and/or carry practices... Fix the problem
    Last edited by BimmerJon; September 14th, 2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock_23 View Post
    As I said, I kept my gun chambered tonight, and I plan on continuing to do so.
    Your sig line sort of hints at the crux of the matter ...

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast