Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Carrying with one in the chamber is Unsafe

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Try to imagine a simple scenario when you need to use your firearm, but one of your hands is immobilized so you cannot rack the slide. Have you practiced alternative methods of racking? Are you proficient enough in doing so that you could do it, perfectly, every time in an emergency situation?
    I seem to recall a post I read recently about a training that some guys in the military had to go thru regarding having a hand taped up and racking a 1911 with either their pocket or their boots. I can't remember the post exactly or who posted it, but I do remember that the purpose of the training was to be able to rack the gun one handed.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post
    I seem to recall a post I read recently about a training that some guys in the military had to go thru regarding having a hand taped up and racking a 1911 with either their pocket or their boots. I can't remember the post exactly or who posted it, but I do remember that the purpose of the training was to be able to rack the gun one handed.
    youtube.com shows many vids of guys practicing racking glocks with the heel of their boots.

Pocket, belts, boot heel, holster etc...All good places to work the slide. For an added bonus, "disable" your dominant hand and try drawing, magazine changes, racking and clearing malfunctions with the non-dominant hand. Might I suggest running the drill "dry" until you become proficient.
    Jules

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Pocket, belts, boot heel, holster etc...All good places to work the slide. For an added bonus, "disable" your dominant hand and try drawing, magazine changes, racking and clearing malfunctions with the non-dominant hand. Might I suggest running the drill "dry" until you become proficient.
    Jules
    Shit! That's what I was doing wrong. I guess now I won't get so many bullet holes in my leg and foot lol!

Shit! That's what I was doing wrong. I guess now I won't get so many bullet holes in my leg and foot lol!
    That a boy!!!!!!!!

(Lebanon County)

I feel more comfortable knowing that I have a round in the chamber at all times. I inspect my G26 at least every other day, change magazines every day to relieve springs, and inspect my holster upon putting it on EVERYDAY. I use a Black-hawk CQC for my everyday carry. Sometimes open and sometimes concealed but always with one in the chamber.

If my family/friends/myself are in a potentially life threatening situation I would rather be able to draw, aim, shoot than draw, rack, aim, then shoot. Yes you could practice racking with one hand or even racking while drawing but I feel its an unnecessary step.

Also the chances that your weapon having a mechanical failure with proper inspection and maintenance seem pretty steep to me. Could it happen, of course someone can prove it can, look at the Kennedy Magic Bullet theory. Could you hurt someone if it happened, yeah, but chances are when carrying OC or CC the holster being used is designed to be parallel with the body pointing to the floor, not pointing at yourself or someone else. In the case of shoulder holsters though yes they are pointed more directly at someone than away however the risk is just as high on your waist or thigh.

Everyone is comfortable in their own way. Everyone has an opinion. My opinion is that I'll shoot faster than that schmuck fumbling with his slide.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock_23 View Post
    ... Always treat a weapon as they were loaded ...
    I think there's a bit of fuzzy logic here. He's keeping the chamber empty so that he will believe that the gun isn't ready to fire (so he won't worry about what the muzzle is sweeping) while arguing that the weapon should always be treated as if it is ready to fire.

For myself as long as it's 1.) properly holstered with the trigger guard inaccessible 2.) of a modern design, and 3.) hasn't had any stupid kitchen-table-gunsmith futzing with it then I feel safe carrying with one in the chamber.

I think it's more likely that my car will start itself and roll into a crowd of pedestrians than it is that all three safeties on my Glock will fail at once and also cause the firing pin to impact the primer of the chambered round with sufficient force to ignite it. But I don't drain the gas from the fuel lines every time I park my car.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Monroe County)

Yah, its very unsafe NOT to have one chambered in the pipe and ready to go,YOU could get killed by a sudden attack.

Right now at this minute i am carrying my Para LTC and sure enough there is a hot Federal 165 grn Hydrashock in the pipe, i wouldnt have it any other way.
    Modern firearms are very very safe to carry loaded.

Nyman

My mom tends to have this perception too; what is it with people who think chambered firearms with no safety can just go off at any time, especially even if they have a holster. People who fear their own firearms are the bigger threat if you ask me.
    1776 or 1984? - You decide.

(Montgomery County)

I carry my revolver completely empty for just that reason. I leave the bullets at home, too. You can never be too safe.

Seriously though, 1911 cocked and locked or the HK decocked and unlocked. It's that simple.
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast