Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default What drive a person to take his own life?

I just lost one of my best friends from high school, and on of my shooting buddys. When i was shooting, he was spotting, when i was spotting he was shooting.

The fucked up part is ill bet my life on which gun he used......

Default Re: What drive a person to take his own life?

I'm sorry to hear that Jules, that's a tough loss. I feel your pain because I've lost 12 of my friends from high school that I pretty much spend at least every other day with. That's a tough tough loss and I'm not sure if you're religous or not, but I will keep you in my prayers. It's harder when you know someone so well that you have a pretty good mental picture about how it happened. I don't know you, but if you need anything drop me a PM, I'm more than happy to talk to you. Take care.

(Bedford County)

He used to always shoot a .264 Win, Mag remingon 700..... I took him out to my gunsmith to get the rifle glass bedded/free floated, re-crowned, and a trigger job done.......

(Warren County)

I lost my best friend from high school to suicide as well, and have never really "got over" the situation. We graduated in '93 and he married and moved away around 97-98, so I didn't get to see much of him after that. We talked on the telephone and the occasional email.

Flash forward to his birthday 2001. I get a phone call from his wife saying, "Is there any way you could come out? Jake really needs you."
    And like we always do, I started making excuses why I couldn't drop everything and drive to Wisconsin. Then she told me he was on his way to the hospital and he had just shot himself point blank in the head. I quit my job, dropped everything, and made a 13 hour drive straight through to WI to be there for him and his family. I was too late to talk to him, he had passed about an hour after his wife had called.

There's not a week that goes by that I haven't thought about him at least once. Time makes it easier to cope with, but there's really no "getting over it", at least not in my experience.

I wish I could take the burden away and tell you the answer why someone would take their own life. I'm very sorry you have to go through this.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Bucks County)

That sucks man. My condolences. No children, I hope? No child should have to come to terms with such an act.

I would say that usually when someone takes their own life, it's usually because they have gotten confused and gotten things out of perspective. They are usually hurting alot and don't know what to do. My experience is alot like sinful's, you don't ever "get over" the death of a close friend. I have caught myself many times wondering what so and so would have done in college or have gotten their degree in, things like that. I miss them sometimes, but I've gotten through it far enough now that alot of my memories don't cause pain anymore just me laughign about the things we used to do. Time will help take away the sting, but I'm sad to say that it's not a situation that will leave you. Sometimes that's a good thing to know that you'll never forget your friend, and sometimes it'll just creep up and make you a bit sad. You'll get through it, and we're always here for you if you need some support, a distraction, or just someone to talk to. My prayers are sent your way and you arein my thoughts.

(Erie County)

My condolences. I also lost a close friend to suicide back in the day, no guns involved though-he hung himself.

It's my understanding that there is profound pain that drives people to take their own life. It's still hard to talk about, even after ten years.

(Monroe County)

I 2nd the offer of someone to talk to if you need it.

I understand what you are going through, quite a few years back a very good friend of mine decided to end his life also.

He was a well known and liked business man and at first no one could figure out WHY he did it. As time went on the truth came out. His business was in financial trouble and he was too proud to ask for help. He stuck it out for almost a year and fought to straighten out the business, just as he was getting to the point of breaking even his wife decided the marrage wasn't working anymore and she wanted a divorce.

He never said a word to anyone he just got his gun, went out into the woods on state game lands and commited suicide. It was many months till we even started to find out what happened. I guess sometimes some people just feel that life has gotten to the point of being to hard to fight the challenges anymore.

Rich W.
    Last edited by Warners Surplus; March 7th, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

(Luzerne County)

My condolences to you and his family.

It is sad to hear whenever anyones life has ended. let alone to hear that they had decided to end it themselves for what ever reason.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Susquehanna County)

My condolences.

I also lost a daughter in law to suicide she hung herself. And left two young sons on 9 the other 2. It never stops hurting. Lost a friend his brother to suicide found them both.

But to answer your question sometime pain, sometime hurt, and somtimes just a feeling you can't go on anymore.

I know when my wife died I sat for a year with my 45 on the table and came close to eating it. The only thing that stopped me was I saw what happenes to the people left behind.

Your in my prayers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast