Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default York County LTCF...

So a buddy of mine just realized that his LTCF expired. I told him that I was pretty sure that there is a grace period. He called the York County Sheriff's office and they told him that they no longer do renewals. When your permit expires you just go in to the office with your old permit, they do a quick background check and give you a new one. They also said that sometime soon the permits will be good for 10 years. They are also only open for permits on Wednesdays now also.

Default Re: York County LTCF...

For quite a while (maybe always) PA has issued a new LTCF when somebody renews. A different license # than the old one.

And the process is the same for a new LTCF or a renewal.

(York County)

That's odd, they must have just changed that in the last 2 months. I just picked up my renewal 3 days ago which I sent in my renewal app 2 months ago (took awhile for me to get around to it since mine wasn't expired yet).

(York County)

Good for 10 years? Any truth to this? I'm not aware of any such legislation being passed.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Good for 10 years? Any truth to this? I'm not aware of any such legislation being passed.
    No truth to it. I can't find anything to support those claims.

GB

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Hunter View Post
    So a buddy of mine just realized that his LTCF expired. I told him that I was pretty sure that there is a grace period. He called the York County Sheriff's office and they told him that they no longer do renewals. When your permit expires you just go in to the office with your old permit, they do a quick background check and give you a new one. They also said that sometime soon the permits will be good for 10 years. They are also only open for permits on Wednesdays now also.
    They had recently extended their hours to include Saturdays so permits could be picked up by those who work 9-5 jobs.

Who told you all this info?

(York County)

York county sheriff web site still shows what i believe to be all the correct info, well except it only takes a day or two to get it approved but most times they do it on the spot while you wait.

http://yorkcountypa.gov/courts-crimi...s-permits.html

You MUST Have a Valid Pennsylvania Drivers License or Identification Card.

Out of state applicants must have a license to carry AND a Driver's License or State ID from the state in which they reside.

Firearm Permits are valid for five years from the date of issue.

Hours

New License Applications:
    Monday thru Friday 8am to 430pm

Picking up completed Applications:
    Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday 8am to 430pm
    Tuesday and Friday 8am to 6pm
    Saturday 8am to 2pm

1.You must fill out all the information requested from number 1 thru 40 with the exception of #2 on this page. Sign and date the application when finished.
    2.Please note, social security numbers are voluntary. However, If there is a record found and we do not have the ability to identify you from that record, your license will not be approved.
    3.Non-Pennsylvania residents must have a license to carry a firearms from the state in which they reside and a valid state ID or Driver's License. You must also either have business, family, or property in York County. You are required to provide us with written verification that you meet the requirements and a copy of your resident state firearms permit and your Drivers License or State issued ID with your application.
    4.Processing time is usually 3 (three) weeks. However, under state law the background checks can take up to 45 days. If you provide an email address, we will email you when your application is ready to be picked up. Also, if you request we will call you when your application is ready. Due to the large volume of applications, only one phone call attempt will be made. Hence, you will be required to have a working answering machine. If we do not get an answering machine, no other phone call attempts will be made. Request for email or phone call are to be requested on the form available by clicking HERE (.pdf).
    5.Permits must be picked up in person, and valid state ID is required to pickup permits. We will only hold your permit for 90 (ninety) days. After that time period it will be removed from our system and you will have to reapply at that time. If you call, we will not release any information as to your application status.
    6.Return the completed application along with $20 dollars, cash, check, or money order. Your application will not be processed without these funds! Checks are to be made payable to: Sheriff of York County mail application and payment to the address at the bottom of this page.
    7.We will be contacting references and employer as part of the background process. Applications will be denied if contact information is incomplete or inaccurate.
    8.Applications are available by clicking HERE (.pdf). The form is required to be double sided. Applications with the back side on a separate sheet of paper will be rejected. The application instructions are available by clicking HERE (.pdf)

A $5.00 administrative fee will be assessed for all declined applications and permits not picked up within 90 days.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Hunter View Post
    The way the law appears to read is that there is a period of 6 months where having an expired license, that was valid, is an EXCEPTION to getting jacked up for concealed carrying without a license but ONLY if you would otherwise not be prohibited from getting one. If you were, for some reason, not eligible for a license then there is no exception. I wouldn't exactly call it a grace period for a renewal.

Renewals are, essentially, treated as new applications (by a good number of sheriff's offices) so far as the investigative part is concerned. When you look at the application, the only difference is the "Renewal" box, the rest is the same. Some sheriffs may not put you through the same background check wringer for a renewal (DelCo does and renewals take about as long as new ones - at least mine did last year).

Read -- 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: (b) (12)

I'm not a lawyer but the verbage is pretty clear. Just hope a judge interprets it that way.
    Last edited by Kurt_D; September 14th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.

(York County)

OK...I posted this on here for information for you and feedback as well. All I know is the guy called the sheriff's office and these are the things that the woman told him. He said that she had a pretty good southern accent and he asked her to verify that he was on the phone with York County Sheriff's office in York, PA and she said yes in the court house.
    This doesn't mean however, that the information she gave him was correct. It's not like that would be the first time. So take this for a grain of salt. I just threw it out there to see if any of you knew about it and maybe that way I could verify that it was true or not. So far my thinking is that it is not true. I may have to call them later this week to ask the questions myself.