Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: AK or AR?

(Philadelphia County)

Default AK or AR?

If I put 20,000 rounds through both which one would crumble and which one would continue to fire?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK or AR?

Depends, All in one day? Both will be on fire and melt lol...

If you mean over a period of 3 or 4 years.... you will need to replace a few parts on each gun, and most likely be close to replacing the barrel on both guns... springs, extractors, etc. You would likely need to replace the bolt in the AR once or twice ($69 for a BCM HPT?MPI bolt)

It also comes down to:
    Type of steel in barrel (4140, 4150, 4150 CMV, 4150 CMV CHF)
    Chrome Lined or Un Chromed

Type of steel used in Bolt and BCG

A quality AR and a Quality AK will last a lifetime if well maintained.... But barrels will wear out, gas ports (on both guns) will erode.
    Voluntary transactions are the only moral kind.

(Cumberland County)

I'd be willing to bet both of them would fail before 20k rounds without maintenance. If both are properly maintained, they'll both make it there.

I will say that I do believe the AK platform will run dirtier and will also not get as dirty due to it's piston design and loose tolerances. AR's are very tight and basically shit where they eat. As much as I prefer the AR and know they're much more reliable than the myths make them out to be, I will give the edge to the AK.

Otherwise, the quality and manufacturing process of said AR or AK will come into play. Are we comparing a WASR to a Noveske? Or a Saiga to an Olympic Arms? Arsenal to a BCM? Or a M&P15 to a Maddi?

AR's are way more reliable than the internet says they are. AK's aren't as durable as the internet says they are.

(Allegheny County)

And technically the AR has a piston (the bolt in the BCG with the gas rings) its just an inline piston vs an offset piston

But I agree maintain a good quality weapon and it will run and run...

There are still 1987 Serial Numbered M4's in the Army being issued. with likely 80K rounds+ through them.

(Bucks County)

There are far too many factors to give you a straight answer to such a vague question.

For example...answer this: Should I buy Ford or Chevy? Which one is better?

The answer will vary greatly based on which model, year, engine etc you are talking about. Ford Pinto VS a 2011 Duramax Chevy 2500 Pickup would not even be a valid comparison.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but both rifle designs have pros and cons, and both are made to a variety of standards by different manufacturers which make the question of "which one is best overall" impossible to answer. Give us more specifics as to what your needs/wants are and we could better advise you one what's best FOR YOU.

(Allegheny County)

On that note, If you want a Durable AR:
    Colt
    BCM
    DD
    Noveske

If you want a Durable AK
    Saiga or Maddi

Clean, lube and maintain any of those, and you can expect your grandkids to be using them.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    There are far too many factors to give you a straight answer to such a vague question.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but both rifle designs have pros and cons, and both are made to a variety of standards by different manufacturers which make the question of "which one is best overall" impossible to answer. Give us more specifics as to what your needs/wants are and we could better advise you one what's best FOR YOU.
    OK! I'll be more specific! If SHTF and I had to use my rifle for 30 days straight without cleaning which one can I depend on?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TB215 View Post
    OK! I'll be more specific! If SHTF and I had to use my rifle for 30 days straight without cleaning which one can I depend on?
    AK - mainly due to the piston and the MUCH looser tolerances.

If you do decide to clean it, kerosene, gasoline, #2 fuel oil, etc. on a knotted shoe lace and some 10W-40 work just fine.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

"OK! I'll be more specific! If SHTF and I had to use my rifle for 30 days straight without cleaning which one can I depend on?"

20,000 rounds in 30 days = Firing ~667 rounds per day. Yikes! You are really having a bad day.

AR if you are professional and know what you are doing, AK if you are not.

(Allegheny County)

AK without a doubt

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast