Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Not impressed by Surefire

Part 1 ... Pay close attention to the dates.
    From [mailto:misery870@live.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:26 PM
    To: Tech Support
    Subject: G2X

How's it going? I have my G2X mounted on a Remington 870 12 gauge pump shotgun and I notice when I cycle the action, the light flashes on. My hand is nowhere near the activaton cap so I know I'm not tapping it. Is this a red flag that something is wrong or is that normal?

Part 2 ...
    To: misery870@live.com
    Subject: RE: G2X
    Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 16:42:20 +000

Dear David (not sure why they called me David),

Thank you for contacting SureFire.

The G2X is a handheld flashlight and is not intended to be used on a firearm because it is not made to handle recoil. The batteries can move under recoil and slam into the chip in the head of the light causing it to break and make or loose connection. You can send it in for inspection to see if the problem can be fixed. I will need your full name, physical address, and telephone number and I will issue an RMA and email you instructions on how to send it in for inspection.

Best Regards,

Technical Support

SUREFIRE, LLC
    17680 Newhope St., Suite B I Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I U.S.A.
    T 800-828-8809 F 714-545-9537

Illumination tools and accessories designed to meet the demanding needs of high-risk professionals. Tested and relied upon in the world's harshest conditions.

Go with the proven performer. Go SureFire.

Part 3 ...

Just saying, you've got a lot of vendors all over the internet selling the G2, G2X as package deals with mounts for shotguns, rifles, etc. If these lights aren't intended to be used for weapon mounted applications then they're all doomed to fail sooner or later. These vendors are doing their damnedest to give your company a bad name. As for my G2X, after waiting over three weeks for a response regarding the problem I had with your product, I already returned it and I don't intend to buy any more Surefire lights.
    Last edited by Misery Loves Shotguns; January 3rd, 2023 at 05:31 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Not impressed by Surefire

Looks like you solved the problem.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

For a solid, every day tac light I like the Olight M20 Warrior, you should be able to find one well under $100.

For weapons mounted applications, Surefire is probably more prominent - but I think Streamlight is hard to beat. My TLR-1 isworth every penny paid.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(York County)

I had a P6 (I think it's called) on an 870 and it was pretty nice but for the money, I'm more of a streamlight man.

GB

(Beaver County)

I put the Streamlight TLR-1s that used to be on my AR on the 870. Problem solved. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that anyone should pay $60+ for a light that the company will admit is not meant to survive the recoil of a firearm.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    I put the Streamlight TLR-1s that used to be on my AR on the 870. Problem solved. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that anyone should pay $60+ for a light that the company will admit is not meant to survive the recoil of a firearm.
    Nice choice. And I can attest that their customer service is top notch compared to what you posted above.

GB

(Chester County)

Streamlight is also in southeast PA. If you bring in a Streamilght to their plant, they will replace the lens and switch for free while you wait, part of their lifetime warranty.

Now that's customer service!
    Feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/57629-amc58.html
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Lights that are designed to be mounted on weapons have light modules that "float" in the head of the light. This way, they absorb the recoil energy and maintain contact with the batteries and switch mechanism.

The weapon lights are much more expensive because of the extra engineering and parts involved in the making of the lights. If they ever fail, they are also repaired or replaced, free of charge. No questions asked.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    I have a G2X Pro on one of my AR's,so far no issues.

It does say on the packaging that they are not intended to be used on weapons.In teeny tiny little letters on the back of the package on the side near the bottom.
    Though after looking through half a dozen different ads for their lights I failed to see it mentioned anywhere.So I guess buyer beware.Not what you would expect from a company with their reputation.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Lancaster County)

Streamlight and Fenix illuminate our household. Surefire just sets themselves on too high a pedestal IMHO--for what you'd think you're supposed to be getting it's a stretch to think they could live up to it.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; September 13th, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast