Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default The World's Most Unhealthy Vegetable (Bacon) Soup with Protection

This is an old family recipe of sorts. Perfect for a breezy fall evening, or anytime.

You start, of course, with one pound of bacon. Wouldn't be vegetable soup without bacon... I cook it off in the oven. Put it aside and save it for later.

Then three cans of cream of potato soup with equal parts half and half. That's about a quart of half and half.
    Protected by Smith and Wesson.

Three cans of corn, drained.

Some broccoli. We're calling it a vegetable soup, ok? Have to have some vegetables. Since I'm not too worried about protecting it I've stabbed it with a Spyderco Manix 2XL.

Now for one of the most important ingredients, cheese. Lots of it. One pound. Go with sharp cheddar. Cabot, Helluva Good, something along those lines. Or you can get some outrageously expensive boutique cheddar. That'll work too.

You're gonna want lots of protection for this. I brought extra ammo.

You'd need a Ma Deuce to protect this picture. I didn't even bother.

Add the cheese and bring to a boil then immediately reduce the heat to low, while stirring the entire time. You don't want this stuff burning to the bottom of the pot. Remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste.

The final step before service is adding the bacon. Either crumble it or run a knife through it.

Serve with bread, preferably something with cheese in it. Cheddar biscuits are a good choice.

Refrigerate leftovers and enjoy later. I quite like it cold.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: The World's Most Unhealthy Vegetable (Bacon) Soup with Protection

Pffffffft!.....Real men shoot their bacon to pieces and roll it over to the pot in a tactical wheel barrow!

That recipe looks good. Simple is sometimes the key to divinity.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Pffffffft!.....Real men shoot their bacon to pieces and roll it over to the pot in a tactical wheel barrow!

That recipe looks good. Simple is sometimes the key to divinity.
    Indeed. It's Grandma's recipe too, so it's a memory thing for me as well.

(Lancaster County)

I picked up some cheddar cheese today that would be perfect for this. It's a smoked cheddar, to describe it, it kind of has the smokey taste of Gouda but it's a cheddar.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Indeed. It's Grandma's recipe too, so it's a memory thing for me as well.
    Now that I think about it Grandma used 2% milk and about half the cheese... I'm just improving on something already fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I picked up some cheddar cheese today that would be perfect for this. It's a smoked cheddar, to describe it, it kind of has the smokey taste of Gouda but it's a cheddar.
    What are you waiting for?

I'm a cheese fiend. It's not uncommon for me to spend 30 minutes in the cheese section at Wegmans or the farmers market. That XXX Sharp Cheddar is awesome, I've used it before. It's not really super, super sharp but it's complex, slightly smokey, has light citrus notes, and is very rich.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Now that I think about it Grandma used 2% milk and about half the cheese... I'm just improving on something already fantastic.

What are you waiting for?

I'm a cheese fiend. It's not uncommon for me to spend 30 minutes in the cheese section at Wegmans or the farmers market. That XXX Sharp Cheddar is awesome, I've used it before. It's not really super, super sharp but it's complex, slightly smokey, has light citrus notes, and is very rich.
    I have never heard cheese described like that but damn it if I am not going to start paying more attention to cheese!

I love cheese too and when it comes to sharp cheese I always go with the sharper the better.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    I have never heard cheese described like that but damn it if I am not going to start paying more attention to cheese!

I love cheese too and when it comes to sharp cheese I always go with the sharper the better.
    If you have a Wegman's or a local cheese shop, go check it out. It's worth it if you are a fan of cheese.

To the OP, looks tasty. Where's the finished pics?!

(...)
    Protected by Smith and Wesson.
    (...)
    Since I'm not too worried about protecting it I've stabbed it with a Spyderco Manix 2XL.
    (...)
    You're gonna want lots of protection for this. I brought extra ammo.
    (...)
    You'd need a Ma Deuce to protect this picture. I didn't even bother.
    (...)
    Ok, I don't care who you are, that right there is funny. Love it!

(Delaware County)

I just started playing in a band again and we have been batting around ideas for a band name. I have been inspired by pic #4.

Henceforth we shall be known as "Tactical Broccoli"

Hope the rest of the guys go for it.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by msp701 View Post
    If you have a Wegman's or a local cheese shop, go check it out. It's worth it if you are a fan of cheese.

To the OP, looks tasty. Where's the finished pics?!
    +1 in the Wegmans cheese selection. It can get awful pricey though.

Finished pics? In my belly.

I didn't get around to eating until a few hours later, but that was ok, this is one of those things that gets better with age (to a degree).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast