Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Gun Safe - Fire protection, or just security?

So I've been looking a gun safes quite a bit over the last several weeks and want to buy one soon. From what I can tell, many "fire rated" safes exist, but I'm not sold on whether or not they are truly fire resistant. For this reason I'm not sure if it's worth spending the extra money on fire resistance or on a larger capacity safe. I realize it's probably just a personal preference at this point but would like to hear opinions on it.

For what its worth, I tend to look at guns like pretty much anything else. They are just tools, and really don't hold any sentimental value to me. So, should I get the fire rated safe, or go with a larger no-rated safe?

(Washington County)

Default Re: Gun Safe - Fire protection, or just security?

What is the anticipated response time in your area? If it's likely that the FD will be there quickly, go for the fire protection. Don't forget you can use it for other valuables and documents.

If you don't expect a timely response from the FD, if you are very rural for instance, go for the capacity.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    What is the anticipated response time in your area? If it's likely that the FD will be there quickly, go for the fire protection. Don't forget you can use it for other valuables and documents.

If you don't expect a timely response from the FD, if you are very rural for instance, go for the capacity.
    Good question. We have volunteer fire around here and would estimate a response time of about 15 minutes. I would assume a call would be made before any fire was even close to the safe though. (it's not in(or near) the common starting places for fires.

Its a good point about documents...I guess I'd have to buy a small fire-resistant box to put inside the safe for them.

(Washington County)

I haven't researched them lately, but none are really advertised as fire proof are they? Don't they claim to be resistant for around 30 minutes?
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Delaware County)

Not knowing your age, how many times are you going to move in the future? I see a quite a few people are now considering smaller units that can be easily moved at a later date. I bought a "Sturdy Safe" with out the fire rating. I intend to coat the outside with two layers of 5/8" drywall, as it allows more room inside.

Good luck in your decision making.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Dauphin County)

There have been several gun safe threads recently. Have you used the "Search Forums" button at the bottom right of the page?

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Read and compare what various safe vendors use for fire protection.

This Link provide some information: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html#fireproof
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Gun Safe - Fire protection, or just security?

Spend the extra cash and get a good "Fire Rated" safe CAUSE IF you are like me you will end up putting your guns and Important Papers in the Safe and if it is not fire retardant the papers would be lost inside a Non Fire Rated safe along w/ loss of expensive shootin irions. jmop

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    So I've been looking a gun safes quite a bit over the last several weeks and want to buy one soon. From what I can tell, many "fire rated" safes exist, but I'm not sold on whether or not they are truly fire resistant. For this reason I'm not sure if it's worth spending the extra money on fire resistance or on a larger capacity safe. I realize it's probably just a personal preference at this point but would like to hear opinions on it.

For what its worth, I tend to look at guns like pretty much anything else. They are just tools, and really don't hold any sentimental value to me. So, should I get the fire rated safe, or go with a larger no-rated safe?
    You can have it both ways.

The fireproofing in the safe in nothing more than fireproof drywall. Of course the fire rating depends on the thickness. I have my safe set in a corner of a room in the basement. What I did was fireproof the outside walls, and I have no doubt the 3 layers of fireproof drywall I put there is just as effective as the fireproofing the manufactures put on the inside. And I finished it off so there is no clue. The safe looks built in.

It took a little bit of work to fit the drywall to fit between the doors and the inside panels, but I'm satisfied that protecting the safe from fire on the outside will do the job. Of course a modern safe will give you both fire and security. Depends on what you want to spend. Just my way of looking for a practical solution to protect a safe I've had for many years. Good luck.
    NRA endowment

Anyone have a wall mounted safe that is fire-resistant and a decent amount of storage space, like for 4 or so handguns?

Looking for recommendations as there seems to be so many out there on the net. Trying to narrow it down.

Budget around $600.