Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default p345 slide locked shut.

I need to make this quick so I am sorry for that. I bought a used p345 yesterday ans it shot 100 rounds great. Later a freind cycled the slide (empty) and he couldn't get the decocjer to operate. He hands it to me and the decocker begins to work bit the slide won't move. Hasn't moved since. Any responses are appreciated!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: p345 slide locked shut.

hmmm....bulged brass?

(Bucks County)

I just went and looked mine over. Can't find anything that would cause that. Has someone been farting around with removing springs from under the rear sight. i have heard you can convert it from a safety to a decocker equipped pistol by removing springs. I wouldn't do it, but , yeah, I hear that's possible.

(Allegheny County)

Well the gun was empty when this happened. We had been don't shooting for a while and it was definately clear so the chamber is empty (indicator agrees and a flashlight down the pipe confirms)
    Tell me more about this spring under the rear site.... It just so happens when I got the pistol everything seemed fine but as I began to shoot all my shots were along the left side of the target. I had heard these we accurate and my p94 is accurate so I thought it was funny. As I shot my hits were continuing leftward until I could see that my rear sight was waaaa left so I pushed it to center after each clip and it made for quite an accurate shot. Once home I tightened the Allen screw on the sight. Could the problems be related? Could I have over/under tightened the screw to cause this? Seems like a long shot but I'm stumpee!

(Bucks County)

I'm not fully versed in it. If you go over to the Ruger forums somebody there will fill in the blanks. Apparently, underthe rear sight there are springs and pins, and the configuration of these determines which setup you have. Some were, decock and safety, some were decock only. I beleive one of the spring/pin units decides if the gun will fire without mag in place, or if it will fail to fire w/o mag.
    Like i said, i'm not fully versed, but that is where I'd begin looking. Let us know what you find.

(Monroe County)

THe Decocker is not used for closing the action, the decocker drops the hammer, to close the action you will need to press downward on the slide release. THe gun wont close unless you release the slide release.

(Allegheny County)

The action is not just closed, its extremely closed. I think back fondly of the times when I could release the slide, but alas those days are gone. In short the slide is locked in the closed postion not open.

(Northampton County)

That sucks.....

Did you check the ejecter guide inside the magwell? Make sure it is the correct position. Also with the take down lever?

I would assume if either aren't it could cause the slide to become stuck.

Let us know what happens.

(Allegheny County)

Take down pin is in fully and the extractor is up and it doesn't seem to be wedged or stuck in any way. Looking at my p94 I'm not sure I see anything different. I am having a real hard time because I can't even break it down to decipher the problem.

(York County)

Here's a thought. Can you cock the hammer and dry fire the gun? If you can then take a pencil (eraser end in) and stick it down the barrel to the slide face. With the hammer cocked press in on the firing pin with a something about the same size as the pin and see if you can feel the firing pin press on the pencil. You should not be able to feel it and the firing pin should move in partially but not fully.
    Next try the same thing except with the trigger pulled. With the trigger pulled you should be able to push the pin in far enough to feel it on the pencil.

You may have to use a rubber band to hold the hammer back while the trigger is pulled and or tie the trigger back while doing this. It may be difficult with only two hands.

If you get different results then it could be that the firing pin block has fallen out and is keeping the slide from moving.

ETA
    I don't have one of these nor have I handled one. My thought is that if the firing pin block is like the ones I have seen it may possibly be the problem.

I found a few pics and from looking at them it looks like the decocking mechanism presses down on a spring loaded piece that releases the hammer. It could be that the mechanism in the slide, the spring or the part that releases the hammer could be broke.

Best thing to do is send it off to Ruger and let them fix it

Sid
    Last edited by sid; September 11th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast