Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Long rifle or a handgun?

Sig Sauer P522 and P556.

Please help to understand termin pistol. Are these considered rifles or handguns?
    http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...at-pistol.aspx

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Long rifle or a handgun?

It is a pistol.

A pistol is a gun that is meant to be fired with one hand.

A long gun usually has a shoulder stock, which is meant to be fired from the, ...well, shoulder.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

So all the handgun laws are apply when you buying it and transport/carry it. Right?

As a disclaimer, this is a completely hypothetical questions and in no way reflects a request for information on illegal actions. I take pride in following the letter of the law. I do not at this time own any pistol of any type.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

It's a pistol. Putting a vertical foregrip or shoulder stock on it makes it an SBR which you will need a class 3 stamp for.

The plus is, while you cant carry a loaded rifle with your LTCF - I know a lot of guys who carry a P556 in the trunk ready to go - the plus of it being a "pistol"
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHTF View Post
    So all the handgun laws are apply when you buying it and transport/carry it. Right?

As a disclaimer, this is a completely hypothetical questions and in no way reflects a request for information on illegal actions. I take pride in following the letter of the law. I do not at this time own any pistol of any type.
    Yes. It meets the definition of a "firearm".

In Pennsylvania a LTCF is needed to transport in a vehicle, or carry concealed on or about one's person a "firearm" outside of one's home, except to/from a very few limited places. A "firearm" is defined as a pistol or revolver with a barrel less than 15", or a rifle with a barrel less than 16", or a shotgun with a barrel less than 18", or a rifle or shotgun with an overall length less than 26".

No license is needed to openly carry a "firearm" on foot. Except in Philly or during a declared state of emergency. No license is needed to carry a long gun openly or concealed, except in Philly or during a declared state of emergency.

For private transfers a "firearm" must be properly transferred through a FFL or sheriff - except between spouses, parent/child, grandparent/grandchild.

Antique type guns like blackpowder and guns made before 1898 are not "firearms", except when carrying concealed when they meet the "firearm" dimensions.

For prohibited persons - a "firearm" means any type of gun within PA, including antique guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by RHGregory3 View Post
    It's a pistol. Putting a vertical foregrip or shoulder stock on it makes it an SBR which you will need a class 3 stamp for.

The plus is, while you cant carry a loaded rifle with your LTCF - I know a lot of guys who carry a P556 in the trunk ready to go - the plus of it being a "pistol"
    Putting a vertical foregrip on a handgun makes it into an AOW, which is on the same legal level as a SBR.