Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default You can't be serious philly...

§10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places. [180]

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I am just so shocked I had to post something. My jaw is on the floor. Having been right outside Philly my whole life and I had no clue. I figured since I'm getting my LTCF, I might as well carry some sort of tactical knife while I'm at it, since my Dad used to carry one with a seat belt cutter and glass breaker. I had no idea there would even be legality issues, and must have broken this law 100 times. Is it ok to keep one in the car, in philly?

I'm seriously stunned. If I wasn't already a libertarian this may have done it. So for clarification purposes, I can walk down broad street with a 5 pound desert eagle on my hip but god forbid something happens, I have to chuck my swiss army knife with the cork screw and nail file down a storm drain?

....Land of the free

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: You can't be serious philly...

Yup. I'm a transplant from the Southeast, and my shock level was about the same as you had.

And I'm sure Philly isn't the only city.

Proof of what politicians will do given even the least amount of power.
    Guns, knives, soda, it doesn't matter.

It's all about the control and nothing more.

The truly shocking part is how many people still don't see it or care.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

Unless the Swiss army knife is used in your trade, toss it quick. AND,,,, don't get caught with a water pistol, either.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Bucks County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

I'm well aware of this law and choose to disregard it. I have a strong feeling that most cops are unaware of the exact wording of the law, and IMO the risk of any legal action is minimal compared to the benefit of carrying a knife that I use on a daily basis.

I'm not aware of the consequences however I doubt they would be very serious if I was "caught."

Interestingly enough I have encountered the police on 3 separate occasions previous to my 18th birthday, and during each encounter I had my knife stolen from me by the police.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    I'm well aware of this law and choose to disregard it. I have a strong feeling that most cops are unaware of the exact wording of the law, and IMO the risk of any legal action is minimal compared to the benefit of carrying a knife that I use on a daily basis.

I'm not aware of the consequences however I doubt they would be very serious if I was "caught."

Interestingly enough I have encountered the police on 3 separate occasions previous to my 18th birthday, and during each encounter I had my knife stolen from me by the police.
    It will be a typical situation where the charge will be based on the circumstances. It's there if the DA decides to screw you with it.

Oh and I bet a Philly resident, such as yourself, would have your ltcf revoked.
    Last edited by God's Country; September 8th, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJefferson View Post
    §10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places. [180]

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I am just so shocked I had to post something. My jaw is on the floor. Having been right outside Philly my whole life and I had no clue. I figured since I'm getting my LTCF, I might as well carry some sort of tactical knife while I'm at it, since my Dad used to carry one with a seat belt cutter and glass breaker. I had no idea there would even be legality issues, and must have broken this law 100 times. Is it ok to keep one in the car, in philly?

I'm seriously stunned. If I wasn't already a libertarian this may have done it. So for clarification purposes, I can walk down broad street with a 5 pound desert eagle on my hip but god forbid something happens, I have to chuck my swiss army knife with the cork screw and nail file down a storm drain?

....Land of the free
    I you buy a set of steak knives in Philly, it's illegal to take them home from the store. (Unless you can somehow manage to stay on private property the entire way home.)

Bad laws like this one breed contempt for the rule of law.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.