Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Question On Storage And Preservation

I have several blued steel gun parts that I would like to package and protect from damage while relocating to PA. It could turn out to be long term storage and I wanted to do it rite. I am not able to locate a source for heavy brown Kraft Waxed Paper. You know, the type used by S&W years ago. I had planned to coat the parts(slides, barrels etc.) with RIG or some other light grease and then wrap them in the paper, followed by a layer or two of bubble wrap. Does anyone have a source for this paper or any other suggestions as how to achieve the same results? Is there a better lube than RIG? All replys will be appreciated. Thanks to all and Be Safe!!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Question On Storage And Preservation

Quote Originally Posted by noshow View Post
    I am not able to locate a source for heavy brown Kraft Waxed Paper. You know, the type used by S&W years ago.
    For long term storage, you may want to use a heavier grease, that way it "sticks" to the parts instead of dripping or running out.

FWIW, S&W still use the brown wax paper; my M&P semi-auto was wrapped in it inside it's hard case.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Chester County)

You can use regular waxed paper from the grocery store. There is nothing magic about the stuff S&W uses.

Make sure to coat the guns with cosmoline (or BreakFree's version thereof), wrap in the waxed paper, put dessicant packets in the container, and then seal it. If you really want to get cute, you could go to a kitchen store and buy some of those CO2 injectors that people use to re-seal wine bottles, use the CO2 to displace most of the air in the bag and then seal it. The dessicant would then absorb and lock what little water vapor remains.

It's probably overkill -- I have a blued Ithaca shotgun that was oiled and put in to an air conditioned warehouse 22 years ago. Works perfectly, no rust at all. No special bag or paper or anything -- it was just thrown in a box.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bedford County)

I haven't checked but suspect brownells may have ''no-rust'' brown paper - which is perhaps what you describe.

I would tho feel happy if blued stuff was protected with RIG and well wrapped. I seem to recall a buddy way back who had to make sure he preserved blued finish for an extended period and just used lavish amounts of axle grease and then wrapped in multiple layers of newspaper. Finally wrapping in polythene. I think he actually filled barrels with grease too.

AFAIK when he came to de-grease and make things serviceable again he had zero corrosion at all. He did of course remove things like grips and wood furniture etc before the packing up.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

CombatCarry.com CCW forum

Here’s the best grease I know of for preserving metal.

(Keep it away from wood if you’re able because it can be a, ‘bear’ to remove from the grain.)

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...aspx?p=1134&s=

You might enjoy reading this:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...?p=0&t=1&i=503

(Ordinary wax paper can leave a chemically etched pattern on metal surfaces if left in contact for extended periods of time - Ask me how I know!)

See if you can find some cosmoline...it's a PITA to remove, but it is how many C&R weapons have survived over the years.