Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default ENCOUNTER...Henry County Sheriff, Indiana

I was out in Indiana this weekend to meet up with some old buddies so I took some guns along so we could go shoot. I took along my custom AR-15 and my 1911. My buddy's Mother in Law has a couple acres of land in Newcastle, IN. She told us that we could come up and shoot even though she would not be there. Perfect location to shoot. Pretty remote, shoot down into a valley, only other people around are all my my friend's wife's family.

Both of us had 2 pistols on our hip and we had rifles and shotguns laying out everywhere. It was just a couple of good ole boys having some good ole fun. After we were shooting for about an hour we heard somebody yell, "excuse me sir!" We could barely here because of our ear protection but he was able to get our attention. We looked over and there were 2 Henry County Sheriff's deputies looking at us.

Sheriff 2 did not say a word.

Sheriff 1: Hey guys, you are allowed to shoot in the county but we had somebody call and say that you were shooting high powered rifles and you were scaring some cattle.

Friend: Oh, okay.

Sheriff 1: What you are doing is fine but since we had a call we just wanted to make sure your shooting was safe. What do ya'll got there?

Friend: Couple of .22s, 12 Gauge, .40 cal pistols, .45 cal pistols, 5.56 rifles...

Sheriff 1: (Looking at my rifle) Nice 5.56 there!

Me: Thanks!

Friend: Well I have hunted this land for years and I know the layout of the land and we are shooting safe.

Sheriff 1: No problem. Sorry to bother you guys. Its no problem to continue shooting. See you guys later.

After they left we went down to look at some of the targets we set up. I am happy to say I was picking off clay pigeons hanging on tree branches between 75-100 yards with my AR with a red dot.

Anyway, it was a fun day even though the cops showed up! If I was actually an in state resident I would have offered to let Sheriff 1 to shoot my rifle.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: ENCOUNTER...Henry County Sheriff, Indiana

I wish all officers would act like this. That could not have gone any better

Hey, we got a call on you guys. Looks like everything you're doing is legal so we're not going to waste your time or ours. Have a great day.

Sounds likethose sheriffs need to be taped so that their interaction with law-abiding citizens doing a lawful activity can be distributed to every police dept in the state so they know what they really should be doing.

I'm happy to hear that everything went well and that you guys had a good and safe time!

(Northampton County)

Thanks for sharing a positive encounter! I am glad it went as well as it did for you - especially as you were from out of state and all.

Like flyingjunkie mentioned, it would be great if all LE encounters went this well.

(Monroe County)

Wow, nice job on the sheriff's part! That really couldn't have gone any better. They did their job. No more, and no less.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    Wow, nice job on the sheriff's part! That really couldn't have gone any better. They did their job. No more, and no less.
    Nah...I think they just realized they were outgunned