Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Thumbs up How to join a club - Pittsburgh, PA? (no sponsor)

Hi all,

Does anyone who belongs to a gun club have advice on gaining membership when you don't know anyone who is a current member there?

I've been shooting for about 15 years, and would like to join a local club in the Northern Pittsburgh area. I've researched my area and have found North Side Sportsmans Association, Millvale Sportsmans Association and few others but all the applications ask for a sponsor name/number.

Is there any way to gain membership without knowing an active member?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

(Beaver County)

Default Re: How to join a club - Pittsburgh, PA? (no sponsor)

I think you are doing it, a member of a club you are interested in will most likely see your post.

If for instance you were interested in Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club, there are two board members that post on this site sometimes (I'm one of them). I would expect someone to want a phone call or meeting prior to sponsoring you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pbs357 View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone who belongs to a gun club have advice on gaining membership when you don't know anyone who is a current member there?

I've been shooting for about 15 years, and would like to join a local club in the Northern Pittsburgh area. I've researched my area and have found North Side Sportsmans Association, Millvale Sportsmans Association and few others but all the applications ask for a sponsor name/number.

Is there any way to gain membership without knowing an active member?

Thanks in advance.

Phil
    PMSC has some events open to the public like trap shoots and CMP. There is also the PAFOA/PMSC group shoot where there will be allot of PMSC members.

(Butler County)

Thanks for the quick replies. I would certainly be open to having a meeting to discuss my background and intent for joining, as well as the direction and values of the club. TheOilGeek, I may reach out to you for details in the future if you don't mind - though I wish I lived closer to the club.

And QuackXP although PMSC is even further, I took an advanced pistol course there this summer and thought the number and quality of the outdoor pistol bays were fantastic.

If I am unable to train at one of the clubs in my immediate area, I might have to accept a commute as part of the equation. Thanks again!