Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Beretta Tomcat

Default Beretta Tomcat

Just acquired this little interesting piece and don't care for the sights at all. I know it's only a backup and for short range, but would like to be able to hit something or someone at more than 10 yrds. Does anyone know of a better rear sight that will interchange with the ones on this Tomcat?

Default Re: Beretta Tomcat

hmm... i like mine, so i never looked into it... i will look some for ya when i get home...
    Grant
    This Space For Rent

yeah... no dice on that one... lol

sorry...
    This Space For Rent

Are you kidding? The Beretta Tom Cat is the most accurate of all the small 32 acp pocket guns! At 15 yards I can rapid fire all 8 rounds into a 9" pie plate.

Usually when the Tom Cat gets criticized it's because of its wide back strap - Exactly the same reason that it's so easy to shoot straight. I can't think of another small pistol that transitions as easily as the Tom Cat. I can put down a large 45 and pick up a Tom Cat without feeling that I'm hanging onto a tiny tough-to-shoot, 'mouse gun'.

The version I bought is called the, 'Alley Cat'. It has a set of, XS Systems, 'Big Dot' night sights on it. I believe you can get Beretta in Maryland to install these sights on any Tom Cat. All you've got to do is send them the slide.

IMO, you could do a lot worse than pulling a Tom Cat out of your front left pocket. I have a Pierce wrap-around rubber grip on mine, and carry it with two extra magazines. Inside 10-12 yards whatever I point my Tom Cat at is definitely going to get hit.

Great little pistol!

(Berks County)

quick check of the on line beretta and the alley cat is no longer listed.

beretta MIGHT be able to retrofit the pistol so a call to them might help, but the entire pistol will have to be sent in since the front sight is integral to the barrel.

might be better to spend this money on training ammo and work with the limitations of this platform..............

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    beretta MIGHT be able to retrofit the pistol so a call to them might help, but the entire pistol will have to be sent in since the front sight is integral to the barrel.

might be better to spend this money on training ammo and work with the limitations of this platform..............
    What was I thinking? (Must have Glock on the brain!)

I asked Beretta this question several years ago when I bought my Alley Cat. They told me my sights could be replaced but would, probably, outlive the effective life of the pistol. (An alloy frame, guesstimated at 15-20K rounds)

My sights are dovetailed into the pistol barrel and slide. I would imagine that as long as XS Sight Systems offers this sight set that it can be changed. You can ask them. Here's XS's number: 1-888-744-4880.

I'm going to have to agree, though, the $150 + dollar cost would be better spent on ammunition, learning how to run the gun.

I guess it would be a good idea to go shoot this thing before thinking of changing anything, huh. I'll let yaw know after I go shoot this weekend.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slikbludawgs View Post
    I guess it would be a good idea to go shoot this thing before thinking of changing anything, huh. I'll let yaw know after I go shoot this weekend.
    These are nice little guns. One feature I especially like is the tilt up barrel for loading and unloading.

Keep your grip a little low though. ThoseTomcats' hammer tend to bite with a high up grip.

Remember to press down hard on the base of the backstrap, too. This way you'll keep your shots up where they should be.