Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Recommendation of a scope

Recommendation of a scope

Hey I am in need of a tactical scope for my 308 bolt gun. I would like to keep it around $500.. I am currently looking at a Bushnell Tactical 6-24x50mm ET6245

Thanks guys

Default Re: Recommendation of a scope

Quote Originally Posted by mpett1 View Post
    Recommendation of a scope

Hey I am in need of a tactical scope for my 308 bolt gun. I would like to keep it around $500.. I am currently looking at a Bushnell Tactical 6-24x50mm ET6245

Thanks guys
    You do realize that the cost of that scope is over another half of the budget that you're talking about, right? They usually go for $750 or more. So are you really going to keep it around $500, or are you seriously considering $750-790 scopes?

If you'd like some serious recommendations, you'll also need to provide more information. Do you have a magnification preference? So you have a preference in side focus, or adjustable objective? Does it have to be a 50mm objective? Do you have a preference in main body tube, as in 1", 30mm, etc.? What is the intended use of this scope, and at what realistic distances? Do you have a preference in reticle style? Do you want the scope to be mil/moa, or mil/mil? There's a lot more information that needs to be hashed out about what you're looking for in a "tactical scope" before anybody can offer you any sort of legitimate recommendations.

(Montgomery County)

We considering the price point I can only expect so much. The Bushnell is the scope I like right now and I know it’s a little more. Other then that I don’t have a preference on tube size although the bigger the better and recital I don’t really care. Mil/mil is good. I will be mounting it on a Remington Tact and would like to be about to shoot out to 7-800 yards with out straining my eyeballs so that is why I liked the 24x scope.

(Lancaster County)

look into the vortex scopes, great products for the money.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by nateebobo View Post
    look into the vortex scopes, great products for the money.
    Beat me to it. There are a few Vortex Vipers in your price range. Excellent scopes, excellent company.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazarmaveth View Post
    Beat me to it. There are a few Vortex Vipers in your price range. Excellent scopes, excellent company.
    and untouched warranty department. no questions asked is true. i bought a strikefire that had an adjustment cap with sorta dicked up threads (which probably happen from people fondling it where i bought it as it was in the display and people are idiots.) i sent an email about it and had a new cap and a couple stickers and stuff on my doorstep 2 days later when i got home from work.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpett1 View Post
    We considering the price point I can only expect so much. The Bushnell is the scope I like right now and I know it’s a little more. Other then that I don’t have a preference on tube size although the bigger the better and recital I don’t really care. Mil/mil is good. I will be mounting it on a Remington Tact and would like to be about to shoot out to 7-800 yards with out straining my eyeballs so that is why I liked the 24x scope.
    Do you intend to shoot paper for score, or just bang steel? I have a SS 5-20, but unless I'm punching paper, or shooting at a fairly small target (like, 5 inches at 500+ yards) it's pretty rare that I'll turn it up all the way. I spend a lot more time in the 5-15 range.
    It's certainly nice to have that upper range, but there's no reason why you can't shoot 800-1,000 yards with a 10x or 16x.
    Hell, the last match I was at, we were shooting out to 1,000, one guy had a 4x acog!

I had the Bushnell incidentally, and it's a great scope. I think I sold mine for $600 or $650, so you can certainly get them for *near* your price range used.

(Montgomery County)

Great thanks Guys!!

(Bucks County)

I would strongly consider Nikon. I've bought 4 Nikon prostaffs and I've been very happy with all of them.