Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Your armory strategy.

I am building my armory strictly on SHTF strategy. Basically I own two type of weapons. Defense (ak/ar) and getting mobile on foot (.22 / .40s&w).

Sometime I am toying with idea to get a new rifle but when I realize that any of my current rifles can do exactly the same thing I am losing interest very quickly. I don't have a good hunting rifle since all I have are semi and most likely end up getting it. Other than that I am investing in ammo.

P.S. It all might sound silly to you but I got no one to talk about guns in my life. Imagine that......

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Your armory strategy.

Ammo.

Mags.

More ammo.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

(Franklin County)

My wife and I discuss guns allot. But I use to have people I work with that discussed guns. they left.. I miss that. I know how you feel. I only had a few guns(mostly for hunting) Till I bought my first handun. Than i joined pafoa.org. I suddenly developed a hunger for more.. This web sight will do that for you. I would say that if the Shtf, a good hunting rifle would be good , in case you need to put meat on the table. Are you a hunter now???? i have several handguns now. I dont have a storeroom full of each , but I have 2 to 4 boxes of my favorites calibers, stored up.
    In God We Trust............................

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHTF View Post
    I am building my armory strictly on SHTF strategy. Basically I own two type of weapons. Defense (ak/ar) and getting mobile on foot (.22 / .40s&w).

Sometime I am toying with idea to get a new rifle but when I realize that any of my current rifles can do exactly the same thing I am losing interest very quickly. I don't have a good hunting rifle since all I have are semi and most likely end up getting it. Other than that I am investing in ammo.

P.S. It all might sound silly to you but I got no one to talk about guns in my life. Imagine that......
    Lol..it's funny how you said that. My wife is the only one who I can talk to about guns.

Although we love the idea of just collecting all types of firearms, we are mainly concentrating on learning to shoot 9mm and 5.56. I want to add a .22 as well but we are both still learning to shoot. We each have a 9mm, an AR and a shotgun for now as our SHTF package.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHTF View Post
    You've got us here, brother.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 46and2 View Post
    I want to add a .22 as well but we are both still learning to shoot.
    Does Not Compute

Get the 22.
    Get 22 pistols. Get 22 revolvers. Get 22 rifles. If they made them, I'd suggest 22 shot guns, but, well, they don't.

They are cheaper to shoot, so you'll shoot more and get better faster.
    They are quieter and have much less recoil, so you wont develop bad (flinching, ...) habits.
    If the S really does HTF, a 22 will probably put more meat on your table than anything else. Don't believe me? Shoot either a squirrel or bunny with what you've got and let me know what's left.

(York County)

You sound like you've already got a basic defense package of arms.

More practical stuff would include the .22 as other posters have already noted and for the reasons they noted as well.

Here is another one-If you just want a meat gun that is can be used for a wide range of uses get a lever gun like a .30-30 where you can get ammo just about anywhere. It will drop any large game animal you can find in PA. Another strategy would be to get a lever gun in a handgun caliber like .38/.357 or .44 special/magnum.

Lever guns are very underrated by many folks (but not on this forum apparently). Fast to shoot and handy to use, their only limit is fast reloading. By the way, the pistol caliber guns will also work as large game guns (within range limits) if loaded with magnums. Best of all, these are all easy calibers to reload.

Soon after I got real interested in firearms, I did the same thing you are doing. I invested a lot of time and discussion with my wife and daughter to come up with the absolute minimum armaments we needed here at home to handle most realistic situations.

What we decided on:
    .22 semi-auto - Ruger 10/22 for small game and when noise needs to be minimized
    .270 bolt - Savage 110 for large game, i.e. putting large quantities of meat on the table
    12ga shotgun - Mossberg 500 for defense and while it isn't ideal in its current configuration for hunting, in a pinch it can be counted on to take smaller game (rabbits & birds, etc)
    AR-15 simply for its versatility, dependability, availability of parts & ammo.

Pistol for each of us in a common caliber that both my wife and daughter could manage, that meant 9mm. Ruger SR9, SR9c and Sig P226.

I'm in the market for another long gun, so each of us has a pistol and a long gun. I'm debating between another AR in either .300 with a can, another shotty or maybe some kind of carbine in 9mm. Once that decision is made and paid for, I'd like to get a couple .22 pistols for cheaper training.

Then there was the deal that was too good to pass up, $100 for a very nice Marlin bolt gun in .22 mag. Then I discovered Moisn Nagants and my wonderful wife bought me a M44 for Christmas a few years ago.

All in all I feel comfortable with the selection I have now, and see no big holes that one of the other firearms can't cover. Next step is a god safe, mags, ammo and training.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Glad to hear that you are getting things squared away. Having a plan is a good way to go about it.

My wife and I kinda took a more chaotic approach to the acquisition of our firearms. We basically figured that we would need a firearm for such-and-such a purpose and then get whatever struck our fancy. I have no regrets about the matter as every firearm we have purchased has been a good one but with the multitude of different calibers we own, that means that I have to buy a *lot* of ammo to cover the SHTF possibility and my own range time.

Firearms we own:

Pistols:
    Walther PPS 9mm (my daily carry)
    Ruger P345 .45 (wife's daily carry... go figure, she went with the .45...)
    .22 Sears and Roebuck revolver passed to me by my grandpa.

Next purchase:
    FN FiveseveN (sold my old one. Never should have. Plan on buying a new one)

Shotguns:
    20-gauge New England single shot
    12-gauge Williams side by side

Rifles:
    Two .22 Long bolt actions with tubular magazines
    .22 Magnum bolt action with tubular magazine
    .56 JP Murray Blackpowder Carbine
    Marlin 1895 45-70 lever action

Next Purchase:
    Pair of AR-15's using gas-piston design for reliability. One for me, one for the wife.

*EDIT*

This also just reminded me that my wife said our house was like an armory. Almost every room you walk into, there is either a firearm or a combat knife of some kind within easy reach. Never planned it that way, just one of those weird things as stuff migrates around the house from simple living. :-)
    Last edited by Sniper061; September 1st, 2012 at 12:23 AM.

(Montgomery County)

1 main combat handgun with spare mags and spare Hi cap mags

1 main combat rifle with lots of extra mags an a red dot or relfex

1 .308 bolt action with good glass

lots of ammo and good packs and gear.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast