Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Why do we need a LTCF for concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by sgser View Post
    Is it being said that those of us who carry concealed have dubious intentions; are unscrupulous and vile and are performing an act of moral cowardice? Let's not forget "nefarious," the flagrantly wicked or impious tag. Did we get an indulgence from these things because we bought a LTCF?

The function of the permit was to let at least the sheriff know that you were armed.

Openly carrying served as a fair warning that you can and will defend yourself, where as concealed carry was for dubious reasons of getting close to someone without their knowledge of being armed so that you could spring a surprise attack. No gentlemen or person with honor had a need to conceal, only the those with intentions of sneaking up on someone did.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The function of the permit was to let at least the sheriff know that you were armed.

Openly carrying served as a fair warning that you can and will defend yourself, where as concealed carry was for dubious reasons of getting close to someone without their knowledge of being armed so that you could spring a surprise attack. No gentlemen or person with honor had a need to conceal, only the those with intentions of sneaking up on someone did.
    OK, OK, those of us who carry concealed are sneaky bastards and without honor, I'll concede to that. In fact I'm a card carrying member of the USCCA and proud of it. But do those reasons still apply? And, if not and one more time, what is the current rationale for the requirement to have state permission to carry concealed?

(Jefferson County)

OK, OK, those of us who carry concealed are sneaky bastards and without honor, I'll concede to that. In fact I'm a card carrying member of the USCCA and proud of it. But do those reasons still apply? And, if not and one more time, what is the current rationale for the requirement to have state permission to carry concealed?
    If you'll notice - I used past tense wording.

The rationale today is to have further control of the people and to "protect the officers" - since officer's lives are more important than our own these days. ...hence the stiffer penalties for crimes against LEO's and the allowing LEO's to carry nationwide (HB218). Some of the reasons from the past still carry through today as well - but not as much as yesteryear.

The only thing that will set this country free of the restrictive gun laws is another revolution. You may sway one or more states to VT/AK style carry laws - but you will never convert them all. And the general public's attitude towards firearms needs to change too.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Wayne County)

So far, no rationale for the concealed carry law in our contemporary society.

But let me diverge a bit and return to those golden days of yesteryear when open carry was said to be the honorable method of carry. I seem to remember (from movies and such) that side arms were carried openly on horseback, in stage coaches and on wagons. If the parallel is applied to today, we should be able to carry openly in our cars and thereby avoid the nefarious tag. No?

(Bucks County)

Can you carry a rifle in your car loaded with a PA LTCF??

License to CARRY 'FIREARM.'

Never checked into it. Just thought I'd ask for quicker response.
    Al Zeller

(Montgomery County)

So far, no rationale for the concealed carry law in our contemporary society.

But let me diverge a bit and return to those golden days of yesteryear when open carry was said to be the honorable method of carry. I seem to remember (from movies and such) that side arms were carried openly on horseback, in stage coaches and on wagons. If the parallel is applied to today, we should be able to carry openly in our cars and thereby avoid the nefarious tag. No?
    No, the laws as written specify we have to have the LtCF. My guess would be since you can't see the weapon from the street, it's concealed. Or maybe they just don't want crazy road rage drivers with guns.

<shrug>

I fight the laws I think I can change.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by alzeller View Post
    Can you carry a rifle in your car loaded with a PA LTCF??

License to CARRY 'FIREARM.'

Never checked into it. Just thought I'd ask for quicker response.
    Absolutely NOT. A rifle or shotgun is not a "firearm" in the definition for carrying.

Only handguns with barrels less than 15", rifles with barrels less than 16", shotguns with barrels less than 18", and rifles or shotguns with an overall length less than 26" are firearms. Long guns are not.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Absolutely NOT. A rifle or shotgun is not a "firearm" in the definition for carrying.

Only handguns with barrels less than 15", rifles with barrels less than 16", shotguns with barrels less than 18", and rifles or shotguns with an overall length less than 26" are firearms. Long guns are not.
    Yup, if you carry a loaded long gun in your car, you might get dimed out to the Game Commission. God knows the only reason to have a long gun in a car is to poach...

Where are the laws regarding carrying long guns in cars? I don't recall anything in the UFA, so is it in the hunting/fishing regulations?
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    The bottom line is that our forebearers gave up the right and decided that it needed to be a privilege. Barring major changes in thought regarding OC and CC there is little hope that it will ever be changed back to original intent. In other words we're screwed because our great-great grandparents decided it should be so.
    As I stated to my wife yesterday, the Constitution probably started it's long, slow painful death in the 1820's.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    Yup, if you carry a loaded long gun in your car, you might get dimed out to the Game Commission. God knows the only reason to have a long gun in a car is to poach...

Where are the laws regarding carrying long guns in cars? I don't recall anything in the UFA, so is it in the hunting/fishing regulations?
    They are in the UFA..

§6106.1. Carrying Loaded Weapons Other Than Firearms.

(a) General rule.—Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)( 1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provi*sions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.

(b) Penalty.—A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.
    Theres other reasons too that the poaching thing for not having a loaded long gun in a vehicle. Tactical justification is one - try swinging your bird/deer gun around in a vehicle for defensive purposes. ...while trying to claim that you had no means to flee - while in the vehicle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast