Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: french creek out door range??

only 3 rounds at a time
    Last edited by bigbore94; January 1st, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

(Delaware County)

I heard about this range for many years and had a couple scoped rifles to sight in , so I got my $30 permit online and headed there Wednesday 04/02/14 with my little 3 year old buddy . We got there a little after 2pm and was worried about going so late in the day because of some of the posts on here. first I have to say it was hard to find because I didn't see one sign and cell coverage sucks because I couldn't look it up online. I figured if I got there and it was dangerous or if there was anything shady I could just leave. I pulled in and sized it up. there were three people shooting on the 50 yard targets. one guy wrapping up and a guy/girl shooting an ar15. it had concrete tables and benches with rubber on top. I got little guy out and we setup to the far left. it was pretty fun. I was able to sight in my rifles safely. the older brass guy was there lingering and asked me if I keep my brass (after he picked up 80% of it as I shot). I didn't want it so I didn't care. I followed the rules , three rounds , no horseplay , cleaned up everything , etc. As I wrapped up I noticed the guy and girl (after unloading several 30 rd mags in their AR) get in his BMW without cleaning up their targets or much else and leave. As I was almost all packed up several people showed up. some regular guy and a group of guys looking to shoot their ak type rifles and a father and son looking to sight in their rifles. My experience was mostly positive so I will go back at some point. P.S. the website says 12 100 yrd spots. its actually more like 8 100yrd and 4 50yrd spots.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate00 View Post
    I heard about this range for many years and had a couple scoped rifles to sight in , so I got my $30 permit online and headed there Wednesday 04/02/14 with my little 3 year old buddy . We got there a little after 2pm and was worried about going so late in the day because of some of the posts on here. first I have to say it was hard to find because I didn't see one sign and cell coverage sucks because I couldn't look it up online. I figured if I got there and it was dangerous or if there was anything shady I could just leave. I pulled in and sized it up. there were three people shooting on the 50 yard targets. one guy wrapping up and a guy/girl shooting an ar15. it had concrete tables and benches with rubber on top. I got little guy out and we setup to the far left. it was pretty fun. I was able to sight in my rifles safely. the older brass guy was there lingering and asked me if I keep my brass (after he picked up 80% of it as I shot). I didn't want it so I didn't care. I followed the rules , three rounds , no horseplay , cleaned up everything , etc. As I wrapped up I noticed the guy and girl (after unloading several 30 rd mags in their AR) get in his BMW without cleaning up their targets or much else and leave. As I was almost all packed up several people showed up. some regular guy and a group of guys looking to shoot their ak type rifles and a father and son looking to sight in their rifles. My experience was mostly positive so I will go back at some point. P.S. the website says 12 100 yrd spots. its actually more like 8 100yrd and 4 50yrd spots.
    I enjoyed your post and am glad all worked out in a safe manner, especially for your small child. Now for the BMW driver, being their owners already own the roads, did you not believe they owned the range as well.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Yeah I would like to join a club but it seems like most clubs around here you need to know a member. What club would you suggest? I want a safe place to take my family.
    Northern Chester County Sportsman's Club... not far from french creek.

http://nccsc.us/ there are a few threads on here about it.

go to the next meeting, dont need to know anyone.

just joined myself last fall. very happy. take the kids up no problem!
    Ignorance is bliss!

Coatesville (unfortunately), Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Im currently weighing my options,where exactly is this range at? Downloaded the FC state park map didnt see it on there and what is this $30 dollar permit?? Could someone please point me in the right direction

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by libertyfor500 View Post
    Im currently weighing my options,where exactly is this range at? Downloaded the FC state park map didnt see it on there and what is this $30 dollar permit?? Could someone please point me in the right direction
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2
    Here's the link to the PAGC site pertaining to the range use permit. If you get a hunting license you don't need the permit. Not familiar with you're area so I'll have to let someone else chime in on where French Creek is located.

(Somerset County)

Just east of Elverson is an intersection of routes 23 and 345. There's a car dealer there. You want to take 345 N towards French Creek State Park. Just after turning off of 23, there is an intersection with a 3 way stop. Turn there (still on 345) and then almost immediately make a left onto Laurel Road. Follow that to the range in the gamelands #43. You kind of J hook into the range parking lot.

If the farm with the high fence is on your left, you missed Laurel Road, it should be on your right when you are on Laurel road.

The range is NOT at French Creek State Park, just near it. I haven't been there in about 4 years but I doubt much has changed, the above should get you there.

Dale

(Chester County)

Smile Re: french creek out door range??

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Just east of Elverson is an intersection of routes 23 and 345. There's a car dealer there. You want to take 345 N towards French Creek State Park. Just after turning off of 23, there is an intersection with a 3 way stop. Turn there (still on 345) and then almost immediately make a left onto Laurel Road. Follow that to the range in the gamelands #43. You kind of J hook into the range parking lot.

If the farm with the high fence is on your left, you missed Laurel Road, it should be on your right when you are on Laurel road.

The range is NOT at French Creek State Park, just near it. I haven't been there in about 4 years but I doubt much has changed, the above should get you there.

Dale
    thank you bout to "maps" drive there now

found it thanks
    Last edited by libertyfor500; July 4th, 2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: update

(Montgomery County)

Quite honestly, you are just better joining www.nccsc.us, and forget about the SGL.
    ....Then Piers Morgan came on and I almost got a concussion from facepalming so hard.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jagerwolf View Post
    Quite honestly, you are just better joining www.nccsc.us, and forget about the SGL.
    I don't think I'd make it past the vote,I suck at those kinds of things lol. Seriously though I'm looking into it. fees don't look bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast