Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Re: So college is starting tomorrow

ETA: 4th Amendment Rights are not suspended by being on a college campus. PM sent.
    Last edited by VeritasAequitas; August 26th, 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: PM sent.

(Lackawanna County)

Cool So college is starting tomorrow

I've been wrestling with this since I got my LTCF on my 21st Birthday in June and I'm trying to decide if I should carry on campus property or not.

I have a few questions.

Can a college who's security aren't certified peace officers search someone or their property without provocation? I didn't see anything in the manual about it but that they don't have arrest powers.

Can LEO's search a private citizen or their vehicle to ensure they are complying with a corporation's policy?

My major problem is that carrying or not I would deny searches, I'm one of those asshole criminal justice students that disapproves of current safety tactics that trample individual rights. That's a catch 22 for me there.

I've talked to other students that carry and they told me pretty much no one cares as long as your licensed and you don't cause any problems. But I'm still apprehensive about doing it myself.

I'm going to be cleaning my car of all stray rounds and anything gun related The only thing I'll have is my GLOCK19 Gen4 and two Magazines filled with 124gr +p JHPs.

My main concern on campus is the way the building that I have most of my classes in is set up is mostly one hallway, so it's very vulnerable to a Vtech type shooting with a bolted and chained door and one big fatal funnel. we would all be dead or wounded in about 3-5 minutes if the shooters skill is comparable to mine, and if there is more than one we're all FKED

My other on campus concern is my step-father, who abused me and my family for 15 years, I'm under the PFA my mother got but I know they are shit when it comes to stopping a 6'3'" 300lb biker hopped up on pain killers. I'm afraid he might go after me on campus because I will be disarmed.

My off campus concerns are that I would just like to have my pistol with me out and about. Plus my classes are letting out after dark, and I don't live in the best place in Scranton. I've already had to use one of my rifles in self defense outside.

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

P.S. My head of security is one of my professors and a Constable where my college is
    No amount of law enforcement can solve a problem that goes back to the family~J.E.Hoover

(Montgomery County)

Well are you planning to open carry? Is your school public, or private?

If you are concealed you won't have to worry about anything, so long as the printing is not noticeable. I'm all for Open Carry myself, mainly for comfort. I turn 21 this November, so now I can OC without having to walk everywhere, but more importantly carry concealed in places that would be more appropriate to do so i.e college. So basically, I see a G36 in my near future.

If the school is private, then they can ask you to leave, and you will face academic penalties. I am not to sure is the security can search you, but they can have you wait in their office till the cops arrive to handle the situation.
    Unless the place you are working or attending has reasonable suspicion that you have something illegal going on, and might have illegal stuff in your vehicle, they can not search it. That is a textbook 4th amendment violation. Also, what do LEO's care about a corporates policy being violated. Cops would only search it because the security does not have the authority to do it, but again, at the most you will probably be asked to leave.

If the school is public, they can't have you leave since it's state funded, and state laws apply, i.e UFA. You might still face academic penalties, but you would have more ground to fight it since they really can't make rules to prohibit you from lawfully carrying at a publicly funded institution. If other students have been doing it, and have not expressed any problems to you about it, then don't worry too much about it. just know the legalities, read up on them, and you'll be fine. Again CC is your friend in this situation.

IANAL

Be safe out there.
    Last edited by coppery; August 27th, 2012 at 01:24 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

I know for every college (public or private) in Philadelphia if you get caught with a weapon, whether you are licensed or not, you will get expelled. It's possible for local and campus police to charge you with disorderly conduct too. I didn't CC while I was in college, but if my college said it was okay, then I would have carried every day I went to class. We all know "Gun Free Zones" are havens for crime, but I'm not even going to bother starting that rant.

(Northampton County)

Be safe, keep it covered, Tell No One.

(Lackawanna County)

Conceal it and shut up.

Wink Re: So college is starting tomorrow

Being a Certified Peace Officer is no great guarantee to protection,the best you could hope for is a Police Officer Doing P/T duty who has more experience on the street than a Constable who hands out papers for the sheriff.JMO

(Westmoreland County)

Look on the bright side....um, yeah...You could sue if armed criminals storm the school and shoot you till you die, with you having harsh language to defend yourself with. Well, your kin can sue. Isn't America great?

(Monroe County)

No disrespect intended but - COVER UP and SHUT UP.

TWO WORDS for campus carry.

VIRGINIA TECH....

(Chester County)

Bottom line is you are going to have to do whatever you feel the need to do.

There have been quite a few postings regarding campus carry and I think the bottom line is that while you might not be breaking the law (assuming you are legal to carry) you are probably breaking the rules. Chances are if they discover you on campus with a firearm you will be disarmed, detained, and expelled. If you signed anything when you signed up for school saying that you read, understand and will abide by the rules you may also be arrested for trespass.

When you go to a college you agree to follow their rules - whether it is drinking in the dorms, using your id to let others into buildings or having a firearm.

Chances are if you live on campus you voluntarily give up your rights to unwarranted searches. It is probably a condition of living in a dorm that you consent to your room being searched without permission or advanced notice. By paying tuition and attending school you may also be consenting to search of your person and belongings - read the student handbook.

Until someone makes a test case out of it, a la Colorado, that's the way it is...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast