Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Question about NYC gun laws...

After the shooting in NYC today I have some questions about the gun laws in NYC. I know that Bloomberg is an anti gun idiot but...I have a serious question and I want a serious answer.

Are guns actually banned in NYC? I thought NY was a shall issue state (but extremely difficult to obtain). Can somebody give me the actual facts. I am going to be writing some letters and want to make sure I have some facts straight.

Default Re: Question about NYC gun laws...

NYS is may issue.
    NYC is may issue if you have political connections and plenty of $.
    You cannot legally own a handgun without going through a long, drawn out, expensive process. NYS isn't much better IMO. NOt sure about long arms in NYC.

NYC has some of the most Draconian gun laws in the country. Still a daily blood bath.
    Last edited by God's Country; August 24th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Jefferson County)

NYS - you have to have a permit to merely TOUCH a handgun, let alone own one. The Heller & McDonald rulings made NYS and NYC's residence permits(to own and keep in your home) for the most part shall issue. For unrestricted permits(carrying), they are almost impossible to get in NYC, but many counties in the rural areas tend to be a bit more "shall issue".

In NYC you have to possess a permit for long guns too. Outside of NYC no permit is necessary for long guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Mercer County)

Look up the Sullivan Act and you'll learn all you need to know about about NY & NYC gun control
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Bucks County)

If you are a NYS resident and get a full carry permit, it is not good in NYC. You would have to get a NYC validation.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post

Are guns actually banned in NYC? I thought NY was a shall issue state (but extremely difficult to obtain). Can somebody give me the actual facts. I am going to be writing some letters and want to make sure I have some facts straight.
    Guns are not banned in NYC. NY State is may issue, although there are some counties that are shall issue for all intents and purposes. But, the applicant is entirely at the discretion ofthe County Judge administering the licensing. In NYC the issuing of licenses is handled through the Police Commissioners office and a NYS license is not valid in NYC without the NYC endorsement. Nassau and Suffolk Counties and iirc Rochester have their own endorsement rules also.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Monroe County)

NO, any NYC resident can go down and apply for a Pistol permit, its room 110 and room 135 at NYPD HQ at one Police plaza, i had one for 20+ years but i let it expire when they raised the renewal to $400., by then i hap moved to PA anyway.

By NYPD own records 66,000 NYC residents have pistol licenses, Bloomberg can be anti gun as he wants he still has to abide by the state and federal laws, NYS laws say thatthey have 12 months to either apppove or deny you, i got mine in 3 months because my fingerprints were already on file with the state.

THe whole first floor of the NYPD HQ except for rhe auditorium is dedicated to processing "pistol permits" so ,no ,Guns are not illegal in NYC. Bloomberg would like you to believe so though.

(Northampton County)

Threads like these make me glad to live in PA. I am not originally from PA but have lived here for 11 years and don't see myself moving to out of state ever.

(Delaware County)

My son lived in Manhattan for a year. He applied for a home/range permit. I was battling my way up the NJ Turnpike in a near hurricane because my mother was having a medical emergency, and I get a call (8:30) PM from the NYC police asking where my son gets his money (he was a grad student at the time). I'm steering the Jeep with one hand, dabbing the little leak in the roof with the other, and screaming into the hands-free that he has his own money but that we supplement it. Then they ask me if he's a good kid (I kid you not) and whether I thought he should get the permit (?). So I scream into the hands-free that I am in an F'ing hurricane driving to NYC and I haven't hung up on them - that should mean that I felt he should have the permit. It was issued within 6 weeks - the range guy said it was the fastest he'd ever seen one done for a recent move in.

I am SO GLAD that I live in PA!
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Lancaster County)

You couldn't pay me ten million dollars to make me move to that anti American 3rd world craphole.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast