Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default School me on single action and pocket carry

Title says it all...

I was looking at a P238 a few month ago an they shop rep said he carries on a love it but told me not everyone likes to pocket carry a SA pistol...

Can I have one in the chamber but keep the hammer down? Like a revolver, can I just pull the hammer back?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: School me on single action and pocket carry

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    Title says it all...

I was looking at a P238 a few month ago an they shop rep said he carries on a love it but told me not everyone likes to pocket carry a SA pistol...

Can I have one in the chamber but keep the hammer down? Like a revolver, can I just pull the hammer back?
    Everyone will have a different opinion. I personally do not like carrying a single action pocket gun. I have a p238, a lcp, etc, etc, and I much prefer the lcp - double action. With the p238, you can carry it with one in the chamber and hammer back with safety on, or I suppose you could manually drop the hammer, but either way, you have an additional step before you can fire. I know it's only a second or two, but with the double action like the lcp, it's ready to go with one in the chamber and the da pull.
    The p238 is a beautiful gun, I personally just don't like carrying a single action pocket gun.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

If you cannot (or do not want to) carry the p238 cocked and locked, you belong with another pistol. Carrying it in any other fashion puts you at a horrible disadvantage tactically.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

Yes, you can do this, but it may more of an advantage to have a DA/SA or a DA only. To me, going for the hammer verses going to take the safety off is 6 one way and half a dozen the other. If you want to carry a SA pocket pistol with the hammer uncocked and a round in the chamber, I'd at least train a bit for some real life circumstances.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Not a good idea. The 238 doesn't have a decocker, so you would need to use the trigger and manually lower the hammer on a chambered round every time you load the gun for carry. Yikes.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    Not a good idea. The 238 doesn't have a decocker, so you would need to use the trigger and manually lower the hammer on a chambered round every time you load the gun for carry. Yikes.
    Correct! Also -

OP:

Also - the hammer on the p238/p938 isn't as easy to charge as one would imagine under stress. It's not very "thumb-able" compared to a revolver as the grip of the pistol is positioned further away from the hammer.

Your best bet would be to rack the slide - what I'm saying is:

It makes more sense to just have a full mag, empty chamber, safety off

As opposed to full mag, one in the chamber, hammer down (safety off)

At the very least - it would give you faster presentation if bringing the gun into a fire fight. Any SA/DA pocket pistol (LCP, J-Frame, etc) would be more advantageous to you than carrying these sigs in that fashion, IMO if you want a comparable gun in DA/SA check out the p290. I own a P238 & P938 and they are my favorite of the pocket crowd - but if not carried condition 1 (cocked and locked) they would slow you down needlessly vs. something D/A.

The selling point on a single action trigger is travel which generally translates into rate of fire - if you cripple that advantage by adding 1.5 seconds on bringing the gun into action - you would mathemattically be better off with a SA/DA
    Last edited by RHGregory3; August 24th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

(York County)

The p238 can be chambered with the hammer cocked and the safety on so it can be loaded while "safe". I thought this was interesting.

Sid

(Bucks County)

What a nice gun the little P238 is.I got to fondle one at a gun show and I was in love. The only thing that stopped me from buying one is I don't want a cocked and locked 1911 in my pocket(and the price...lol) Just one of my phobia's, I like to carry IWB appendix and I'm not comfortable carrying a glock that way either. The P238 just wouldn't work for me unless I was carrying it in a belt holster and then why carry a 380 as opposed to my CZ p01 or Ruger Sp101 or a 1911 for that matter....I'll stick with my LCP or J frame for when i wanna drop something in my pocket

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post
    What a nice gun the little P238 is.I got to fondle one at a gun show and I was in love. The only thing that stopped me from buying one is I don't want a cocked and locked 1911 in my pocket(and the price...lol) Just one of my phobia's, I like to carry IWB appendix and I'm not comfortable carrying a glock that way either. The P238 just wouldn't work for me unless I was carrying it in a belt holster and then why carry a 380 as opposed to my CZ p01 or Ruger Sp101 or a 1911 for that matter....I'll stick with my LCP or J frame for when i wanna drop something in my pocket
    I will too generally take my sp101 over a p238, however the p938 is a much more convincing argument. I think it will likely remain my favorite pocket gun for some time - though that xd-s by Springfield looks enticing if recoil is not too severe.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RHGregory3 View Post
    I will too generally take my sp101 over a p238, however the p938 is a much more convincing argument. I think it will likely remain my favorite pocket gun for some time - though that xd-s by Springfield looks enticing if recoil is not too severe.
    Not to hijack the thread, but I picked up the xds a while back and it is now my everyday carry - outstanding pistol! Recoil is very manageable. I really like the combo of glock like trigger and grip safety. I carry it with powerball ammo in a owb holster made for Walther PPS. But surely I digress. As I mentioned before, the P238 is a sweet 380 - but just not for pocket carry imo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast