Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fulton County)

Default Hildog wants meeting of the minds to talk about Gun Control

By CHRISTY HOPPE / The Dallas Morning News
    choppe@dallasnews.com

AUSTIN – Hillary Rodham Clinton, locked in a fierce battle for Texas, said Monday that as president, she would not try to impose New York-like gun restrictions at the national level.

Mrs. Clinton said in an interview with The Dallas Morning News that she would like to see bans on assault weapons and the end of loopholes that allow weapons to be sold at gun shows without required background checks.

"There can be a meeting of the minds between lawful gun owners and those who believe we can protect Second Amendment rights without giving in to the bad guys," she said.

Although gun control has not been a major topic in Mrs. Clinton's battle with Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination, it's always an important issue in Texas.

Touching on several topics in a wide-ranging conversation on the eve of the state's crucial primary, Mrs. Clinton spoke of deep religious convictions, saying that they guide her in many policy positions because "it would be hard to separate out."

"I feel comfortable relying on my faith," she said.

Mrs. Clinton said her Methodist teachings exhort her to help those less well off and do all the good that can be accomplished. She said she wakes up every day and is motivated by those tenets.

"I've often told those who ask that the best rule in politics is the Golden Rule," she said.

Asked if she had always abided by do-unto-others in her own political decisions, Mrs. Clinton smiled. "I'm sure I have fallen short," she said.

Mrs. Clinton also said that she envisions that her administration would be demonstrably different from her husband's eight years because the issues have changed, especially the security concerns after 9/11.

"That is a big factor in thinking about defending our country," she said.

She acknowledged that she and President Clinton share many of the same ideas and advisers and that "I look to Bill for advice."

But she said that she is looking to a "whole new generation" of talented, younger people that would bring new life and different ideas into her administration.

She reiterated that she gathers information from a wide range of advisers but then intends to make decisions and be held accountable for them.

The campaign for Texas and Ohio has centered on national security in the final days, and Mrs. Clinton predicted that would continue to the fall, when John McCain will probably be the Republican nominee. That was a big factor in her campaign's theme of a potential 3 a.m. phone call to the White House warning of international crisis, which she has used in speeches and ads to contrast her experience with Mr. Obama's. He has fired back that his judgment was proved to be superior because he opposed the Iraq war.

Mrs. Clinton allowed that Austin advertising guru Roy Spence, a longtime friend who recently took a greater role in her campaign, "was part of the conversations" about how to best illustrate the issue.

Mr. Spence used a similar ad, employing a red phone ringing in the White House, in a 1984 ad for Walter Mondale's primary campaign against Gary Hart.

"Roy is someone I have a lot of confidence in," Mrs. Clinton said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.4608c23.html

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Hildog wants meeting of the minds to talk about Gun Control

She stinks on ice. Her whole political career was founded on restricting gun rights. Why would she be believable now?

The voters are sending her on her way. Good riddance.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by reels18 View Post
    She stinks on ice. Her whole political career was founded on restricting gun rights. Why would she be believable now?

The voters are sending her on her way. Good riddance.
    I want her to win the nomination. McCain has a much better chance of beating her then Obama IMO.

Voters are even switching from GOP to Democrat to vote for her. ( Then switching back of course. )
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan

(Washington County)

Either her or MCCain, we all lose.